Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vsync problem with 5870 and catalyst 10.3 windows 7 64bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2010 10:53:50 PM

hello everyone

i resently got the sapphire hd5870 vapour x oc graphics card and using catalyst 10.3 and v sync dont work with some games and i get tearing at windows 7 64bit start up.
i am trying to get v sync to work on redfaction gurilla, i put wait for vertical refresh on and still get tearing, it just dont work in catalyst control center, im not likeing it atall, i do prefer the nvidia control panel and drivers to these catalyst, in usualy im a nvidia man but these hd5870 cards look pretty good and are cheaper then the new gtx480s, the performence on the 5870 cards are fast but im not likeing the vsync problem, its doing my head in now lol...as anyone got any ideas on this or is it a driver problem or is it the card, is anybody elts having the same problem...thanks for your help
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 1:22:28 AM

There should be an option to force V-Sync in the CCC. it seems to work, but I use on unless app specifies and turn it on in my games. As for the tear/flicker(it almost looks like a jumpy alpha bend to me) on the fade in screen for windows. Its always been line that for ATI cards. I am not sure why, but that does not bug me too much. As long as my games are good.

a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 2:16:04 AM

Couple ideas,

Like nukemaster said, set it to 'on unless specified' in CCC

Have Catalyst AI set to Standard or Advanced (and enabled).

Turn it on in game if possible.

Which game is this happening for?

And what do you mean by 'tearing' at startup? Like really jerky and blocky when fading in? If so that is fine as my card does that too (no harm in it happening) though I agree it is odd as my 4850/4650 cards do not do this.
Related resources
April 15, 2010 2:36:52 AM

I have this issue too. Reading around more it seems that people are saying that if you use Rivatuner to force Vsync on it fixes the problem. Rivatuner is overclocking software right? So does anyone know if using this software voids warranty?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 2:43:55 AM

Only if they find out...

But in seriousness, using Riva doesn't make you OC. If you know what you are doing, Riva will do no harm.

By the way, what games are you all having trouble with?
April 15, 2010 2:50:19 AM

The Witcher is tearing for me. It doesn't have an in-game vsync option so the only way is to force it, which is what I did with my Nvidia control panel with my old 8800 GTS and it was fine.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 3:01:33 AM

Does it have a .ini file? That might have the option (or at least a frame cap).
April 15, 2010 3:10:25 AM

Good idea I'll have a look after. Vsync seems like an easy thing to implement as all it does is control the FPS so why is the ATI CCC not working? Tearing drives me mad, I'd rather have a slight performance hit then put up with it to be honest.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 12:35:59 PM

I agree 100%. I've never had it not work in a game though, so this is a bit odd to me. I've had forced AA not work though.
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 2:29:49 PM

It is kind of strange(your 4850/4650), I think start-up graphical glitch happened on my X1900XT/4870(for sure on this one) as well.

As said, Riva will NOT overclock unless you tell it too.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 3:09:15 PM

Just to make sure we are talking about the same glitch: I am referring to when Win7 (possible Vista too, I can't remember) fades from login to desktop. On my 4650, it is a nice smooth fade. I think that how it is on my 4850, though I will have to confirm. My 5850 however is jerky, skips frames, etc. Works awesome once in though.
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 3:12:32 PM

EXT64 said:
Just to make sure we are talking about the same glitch: I am referring to when Win7 (possible Vista too, I can't remember) fades from login to desktop. On my 4650, it is a nice smooth fade. I think that how it is on my 4850, though I will have to confirm. My 5850 however is jerky, skips frames, etc. Works awesome once in though.

I will clear this up, its during the cross-fade from one to the other(start to logon i think. and logon to dektop)
April 15, 2010 5:02:34 PM

thanks for all your replies, its not just me with the problem then

ive only tryed a few games with it but the tearing happens on redfaction Guerrilla, ther is no in game setting for vsync and ive tryed to force it on in the ccc but it still does not work

yeah when windows fades in at log in screen theres alot of tearing and a bit jumpy and allso sometime when i click on ccc my mouse pionter gets enlarged and ive have to reboot to get it back to normal, strange, never had these problems before with nvidia or tho i am pleased with the speed of the 5870, it is fast

1000wcosair psu
windows 7 64bit
core i5 750 @4ghz oc
corsiar ddr3 ram 1600mhz
sapphire hd5870 vapour x oc. catalyst 10.3
x fi extreme gamer saouncard
samsung spinpoint f1 250gb
samsung spinpoint f1 750gb
April 15, 2010 5:06:34 PM

Yeah I get that tearing on the Windows Vista fade in screen on my 5850.
April 15, 2010 5:26:43 PM

so it must be an ati thing then. allso rivatuner does not work on mine, there is no options for overclocking or to force vsync on, im using catalyst 10.3, does this driver work with latest rivatuna??
April 15, 2010 6:18:01 PM

ive just tryed playing crysis and it crashed at start up, didnt even get in to game, this is really doing my head in now, even thinking of sending th 5870 back and getting a refund and goin back to nvidia, never had problems like this with nvidia
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 8:34:35 PM

Was this a new install of Windows, or did you replace an existing card?

Yep, so we are all talking about the same Windows problem. The only thing I can't remember is if my 5850 had trouble with the fade on a lower res monitor (I recently replaced my 1280x1024 with a 1920x1080).
April 15, 2010 9:39:30 PM

i replaced a geforce gtx280 with this 5870 card. i upgraded to windows 7 a couple of week ago but i didnt do a reinstall of windows, i only replaced the card yesterday
my monitor is a dell 24" ultrasharp @ 1920x1200
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 3:08:18 AM

Might want to uninstall the drivers and try driversweeping in safe mode for both NVidia and ATI drivers just to make sure all shreds of the old drivers are gone.
May 4, 2010 4:26:22 PM

I don't think reinstalling drivers would help. I have exactly the same issue on my brand new workstation. I use Radeon HD 5750 and Windows 7 64 bit on 1920x1080 resolution. Everything else works like charm, just log in/log out fade in/fade out seems a bit glitchy - it jus isn't smooth fade. Oh and yes, when UAC comes in a screen goes blank (black) and then appears the UAC dialog. Not smoothly just on/of.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 10:02:11 PM

The crash in Crysis certainly sounds driver related, however you are correct that the poor fade performance is something all 5000s seem to exhibit. Not sure why as my lowly 4650/v5700 has no issue with fading.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2010 6:34:48 AM

I had that problm with vsync in bad company2 with my 5970 and if i changed the resolution 2-3 times from diff Hz as well it would fix it..just have to do it everytime u start it up..thats one fix that may work for ya. i even have to switch the resolution 3 times in a certain order and the vsync will all of a sudden work...but dont look at first...just set your res to diff ones then back to the one u want to play before trying to see if it works...thats how i did it for some of the games that had this problem...
I know you think im some nut but try it...trust me ..it worked for me..but then again i have a 5970 model..but CCC 10.4 now just recently.
February 13, 2011 6:14:12 AM

kabolo1 said:
hello everyone

i resently got the sapphire hd5870 vapour x oc graphics card and using catalyst 10.3 and v sync dont work with some games and i get tearing at windows 7 64bit start up.
i am trying to get v sync to work on redfaction gurilla, i put wait for vertical refresh on and still get tearing, it just dont work in catalyst control center, im not likeing it atall, i do prefer the nvidia control panel and drivers to these catalyst, in usualy im a nvidia man but these hd5870 cards look pretty good and are cheaper then the new gtx480s, the performence on the 5870 cards are fast but im not likeing the vsync problem, its doing my head in now lol...as anyone got any ideas on this or is it a driver problem or is it the card, is anybody elts having the same problem...thanks for your help

yeah man, i have the same problem with my 5850. some games runs amazingly smooth, then on the other hand most source games vertical sync does nothing.. i mean yeah, it does something, but not what im use to with my nvidia cards. in the past all of my source games with nvidia ran with vertical sync enabled and that setting REALLY smoothed out the game nicely and removed all the screen tearing. it seems that this is an ongoing problem with ATI in general that over the last 10 years have not been able to fully correct. :-/ sucks for us ATI users. i want my nvidia back.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2011 8:46:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!