Sign in with
Your question

Portable hard drive won't show up

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2012 2:41:30 PM

Hello,
I was copying files from my Buffalo external hard drive (older model) to a newer Toshiba portable hard drive last night but it never got completed. It stopped copying at about 40% into it. When I checked the Buffalo I could not find it. I turned it on and off, changed USB site connection to no avail. I could feel the vibration that it's trying to work. Also when I connect it to the computer, the PC recognized it with a sound that it's connected to something but it's not showing up as a choice of hard drive.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2012 2:56:04 PM

The drive may have failed. Try removing the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to your system. You may need to dl and run diagnostics.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:06:42 PM

I'm sorry how do I do that? Forgive me but I'm not that computer savvy. What exactly do you mean by removing the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to your system? I should also clarify the sound i'm hearing from the external drive-there's no "humming sound" that I used to hear. Instead it's more like a sound when one is trying to start a car and it will try to but it won't. The sound stops when the key is turned back off. In this case, it continues to make a sound that way while it's on.
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2012 5:24:02 PM

I do have a solution!!! a temporary one actually
If u use XP, then right click on My Computer and click on MANAGE option
a window will open
there under STORAGE,click on DISK MANAGEMENT
here u MAY find the SSD DRIVE
so right and click open
hope this works for u....
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:47:24 PM

Vista and Win 7 also have similar options I think under control panel, admin tool, System Configuration. If you buy a new HD and PC doesn't recognize it, then you have to go there and make it recognizable.
m
l
!