$500~550 Software development/light gaming pc

fgmmgf

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next month (around mid june 2010)

BUDGET RANGE: $500-550 including $2.5-3/lb shipping that my courrier charges(might be able to stretch it to a little bit over $600 if needed, rebates don't apply as I don't live in the US)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: software development (dreamweaver, photoshop, visual studio, sql server, virtual machines running linux and apache/php/mysql), gaming (not too fancy, will ocassionaly play games like gta iv, flight sim x etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, case, speakers, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Since I live outside of the US, I can't buy from newegg. But will use that site as reference anyways, if possible, I would like some recommendations about which sites have the best prices for the parts i will list (I use a courrier service that's located in florida so the packages can be delievered there and then they forward them to my country, sadly, newegg refuses to support this :().

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like the build to be AMD based.

OVERCLOCKING: Not really

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I will list a video card but it won't be included in my initial purchase cause i can't afford it right now but will want to buy it later for gaming.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This are the parts I have chosen so far. I'm aware newegg is the cheapest around but need some references to other sites for the reasons listed above.

PARTS:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For the near future, not included in the parts i'm buying next month:
XFX HD-577A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
You did not list what parts are NOT to be included ... very important, with such a small budget.

Everything looks pretty good ... The Ripjaws 1600 CAS7 would be a better choice ...

You may also wish to look at the 435/440 proc range. (Athlon-II x3 core @~2.9GHz.)

... Case ? ... DVDR ?? ... OS ?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
tiger.com

... all that is lookin' purdy good, thus far ... just some balancing adjustments and cost/performance "trade-offs" to consider, at this point.

... At SOME point (maybe not right at first) consider the HYPER 212+ cooler ....

... SOME folks would rather order an OEM CPU (does not come with factory cooler) which can save up to $10 ... and that $10 savings can be applied to a $30 Hyper 212+, after-market cooler (which will allow better OC overhead).

... Since budget is tight ... May just want to go with stock cooler, but still spend the $10, on faster 1600c7 ram, just so you can OC, at some point.

= Alvin =

Hmm while i understand the choice of an IGP AM3 mobo due to chugging along before possibly having more funds to nab that juicy discrete calculating your cost for chip+board its $206 and you're on a 700 series board Perhaps go with a juicy 880G/ATX featuring bigger/better tech ^^
Untitled-76.jpg

fgmmgf

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Ohh I didn't even know that 880G chipset existed, I wanted a 890gx first but the price scared me off a bit :) gonna look into that.