Can't Drag and Drop

My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar, has
died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to d&d to a
program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.

I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
checked.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and how to
fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.

--
Brett

Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
enabled.
Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:etvtmdPAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Brett Weiss <lawyer@brettweiss.com> hunted and pecked:
> My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
> has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
> d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.
>
> I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
> checked.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
> how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> --
> Brett

Wes:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor shows that
this setting is disabled (which, as I read it, enables d&d [go figure]).
FWIW, right click works on the start menu. Also I still can't drag from
Explorer to a program in the taskbar. <sigh>

Any other suggestions?

--
Brett

> Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.
>
> You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
> location to configure Start menu features:
> User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Policies\Explorer
> The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
> value
> of 0 is disabled.
>
> Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
> dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
> enabled.
> Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"
>
> Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:etvtmdPAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Brett Weiss <lawyer@brettweiss.com> hunted and pecked:
>> My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
>> has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
>> d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.
>>
>> I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
>> checked.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
>> how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.
>>
>> --
>> Brett

You can't drag to the taskbar. Never have been, never will be.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message news:%23zS8p6nAFHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Wes:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor shows that
> this setting is disabled (which, as I read it, enables d&d [go figure]).
> FWIW, right click works on the start menu. Also I still can't drag from
> Explorer to a program in the taskbar. <sigh>
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Brett

>> Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.
>>
>> You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
>> location to configure Start menu features:
>> User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>> Policies\Explorer
>> The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
>> value
>> of 0 is disabled.
>>
>> Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
>> dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
>> enabled.
>> Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"
>>
>> Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:etvtmdPAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Brett Weiss <lawyer@brettweiss.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
>>> has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
>>> d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.
>>>
>>> I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
>>> checked.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
>>> how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett

Perhaps I was not precise in my wording.

I used to be able to drag a file or files from Windows Explorer to an icon
on the taskbar, hold the dragged files there, the program would pop up, I
would move the dragged files onto the program window, and release the mouse
button. The files would then be "dropped" into the program, which would open
them.

This is what I meant when I talked about dragging and dropping files onto
the taskbar. This is what I no longer can do.

--
Brett

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You can't drag to the taskbar. Never have been, never will be.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message
> Wes:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor shows
> that
> this setting is disabled (which, as I read it, enables d&d [go figure]).
> FWIW, right click works on the start menu. Also I still can't drag from
> Explorer to a program in the taskbar. <sigh>
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Brett

>> Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.
>>
>> You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
>> location to configure Start menu features:
>> User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>> Policies\Explorer
>> The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
>> value
>> of 0 is disabled.
>>
>> Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
>> dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
>> enabled.
>> Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"
>>
>> Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:etvtmdPAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Brett Weiss <lawyer@brettweiss.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
>>> has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
>>> d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.
>>>
>>> I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
>>> checked.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
>>> how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett

Can you drag a file over My Documents to move it. Can you drag a text file over a program file like notepad to open the text file.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message news:%23m109DwAFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Perhaps I was not precise in my wording.
>
> I used to be able to drag a file or files from Windows Explorer to an icon
> on the taskbar, hold the dragged files there, the program would pop up, I
> would move the dragged files onto the program window, and release the mouse
> button. The files would then be "dropped" into the program, which would open
> them.
>
> This is what I meant when I talked about dragging and dropping files onto
> the taskbar. This is what I no longer can do.
>
> --
> Brett
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> You can't drag to the taskbar. Never have been, never will be.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message
>> Wes:
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor shows
>> that
>> this setting is disabled (which, as I read it, enables d&d [go figure]).
>> FWIW, right click works on the start menu. Also I still can't drag from
>> Explorer to a program in the taskbar. <sigh>
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Brett

>>> Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.
>>>
>>> You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
>>> location to configure Start menu features:
>>> User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
>>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>>> Policies\Explorer
>>> The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
>>> value
>>> of 0 is disabled.
>>>
>>> Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
>>> dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
>>> enabled.
>>> Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"
>>>
>>> Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:etvtmdPAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Brett Weiss <lawyer@brettweiss.com> hunted and pecked:

> Can you drag a file over My Documents to move it.

Yes, this works.

> Can you drag a text file over a program file like notepad
> to open the text file.

This works as well.