Did I ruin my HD or did I ruin more?

G

JUST last night I purchased a brand new desktop computer (HPE-210Y) a new Rocketfish 500w power supply, and an NVIDIA GTS 260. I ran the computer for a while to make sure it was working, and then I proceeded to modify it up. After carefully remembering what plugged in where, and following the directions I installed only the power supply. Most importantly i plugged in the SATA into the HD and one other that the manual called "floppy drive connector". I think that is where I made a mistake, and overloaded my hard drive, because i couldnt remember if it was plugged into my HD or not :S my stupidity cost me. I turned on the computer and heard a popping noise kind of like a spark and smelled burned plastic. Upon booting it now, it lets me go into setup and the like, but only gets to a black screen later reading "Please select correct boot device, press any key to continue"

Can anyone reinforce that connecting both cables to the HD ruined it or was it something else? And is it possible that i also ruined the motherboard or no?

Now i have to buy a new hard drive and OS and have it replaced, but im not sure if i damaged any other parts of the PC. And i don't want to keep spending more money if it gets ruined again. Thank you all in advance
Jason

Full list of specs here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02016581&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4160015

Solution
Sata hdd's should have two (not three) cables connected, one for power from the power supply, and one for data to the motherboard. Generally you would have to force a connector to do it wrong, the floppy drive connector point confuses me as they cannot be fitted to a sata hdd.

My first thought when reading this is that your powersupply is probably (sorry to say it) shite, and was probably overloaded by the GTS 260.

However if you installed three cables to the hdd then you probably broke it, but that psu is still probably rubbish. (although this review says not too bad, but probably over priced.) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rocketfish-700-W-Power-Supply-Review/556/2
Sata hdd's should have two (not three) cables connected, one for power from the power supply, and one for data to the motherboard. Generally you would have to force a connector to do it wrong, the floppy drive connector point confuses me as they cannot be fitted to a sata hdd.

My first thought when reading this is that your powersupply is probably (sorry to say it) shite, and was probably overloaded by the GTS 260.

However if you installed three cables to the hdd then you probably broke it, but that psu is still probably rubbish. (although this review says not too bad, but probably over priced.) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rocketfish-700-W-Power-Supply-Review/556/2

Solution
G

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I greatly appreciate it.

I talked to Geek Squad this afternoon and they said that I would need to replace the whole PC instead of just the hard drive and the OS. Please tell me this isn't true, because i cannot afford another thousand dollars. I intended to install the NVIDIA GTS 260 after the power supply so I haven't done that yet. The one that is in there right now is a Radeon HD 5450.

You were right that there was supposed to be only two cables and not three which is the mistake I made, thanks for backing that up since my memory was hazy. I am only a novice at repair and upgrading

This was a hard lesson for me to learn :( Thank you very much again

G

I was using Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I should have made a backup disk, but I didnt unfortunately. HP makes you make your own, so the only place it would be is on the hard drive or on the CD

bedfordva

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I have a 210y 18 mo old needs a HDD sell it to you for $450. Jason---- use youtube for help installing stuff,
JUST last night I purchased a brand new desktop computer (HPE-210Y) a new Rocketfish 500w power supply, and an NVIDIA GTS 260. I ran the computer for a while to make sure it was working, and then I proceeded to modify it up. After carefully remembering what plugged in where, and following the directions I installed only the power supply. Most importantly i plugged in the SATA into the HD and one other that the manual called "floppy drive connector". I think that is where I made a mistake, and overloaded my hard drive, because i couldnt remember if it was plugged into my HD or not :S my stupidity cost me. I turned on the computer and heard a popping noise kind of like a spark and smelled burned plastic. Upon booting it now, it lets me go into setup and the like, but only gets to a black screen later reading "Please select correct boot device, press any key to continue"

Can anyone reinforce that connecting both cables to the HD ruined it or was it something else? And is it possible that i also ruined the motherboard or no?

Now i have to buy a new hard drive and OS and have it replaced, but im not sure if i damaged any other parts of the PC. And i don't want to keep spending more money if it gets ruined again. Thank you all in advance
Jason

Full list of specs here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02016581&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4160015