Re: Should I upgrade and what should I upgrade first.

G

Hello all, i first wanted to Thank Tom's Hardware site as its given me so much help in building my system with just looking at the threads.

I just built a system and i will list my specs below to the best of my knowledge. I did not overclock GPU or CPU [yet] -I have never done so as im scared. I want this computer to last me as long as possible) nor do i know where to start, but i've been reading and its got me really intrested lately.

I use this system mainly for SC2 (in beta now) and will be doing full time Diablo 3 (im assuming 2yrs), internet and just doc. files. Nothing really spectucualr. More of a gaming system.

Since im going computer crazy, i wanted to upgrade already to 12 gig or ram, duel vid cards (5850), and/or SSD. I Got about $500 im willing to spend and dont know which to get. Please advise if i went wrong if i should change anything. or just blow more money and get everything. I think my system is over kill but im itching to max it out =)

I went to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro and with Single ATI 5850 its recommended 439w, if I crossfire it is recommend 531w. I know this is a recommended, do you think my current PSU is good enough?

System As follows:

Monitor 1: Acer G24 (DVI)
Monitor 2: Acer S243HL (HMDI)

Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E

CPU: i7930 LGA 1366

Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850

PSU: Corsair TX 750TX

Case: Antec 900 (comes with two 120mm intake fans -med setting and rear 120mm exhaust and 200mm Exhaust fan on high setting)

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Keyboard: Logitech G110

Case fan (intake): Thermal Take Smart X 2 (set on med. setting)

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 (stk TP)

ODD: Phillpes x 22 (from previous computer)

Solution
I saw Phillips 22 and thought monitor , sorry, have stuff going on.

2 x 24 inch monitors, get the second card.

Again, unless you need the extra ram for running multiple applications or virtual machine, I don't see it as being needed.
G

Thank you Delluser1 for ur quick response. Definitly good enough meaning for my PSU? should I get SSD more ram and dual video cards? heehee

Yes, for the psu.
More ram, dual video and SSD's would be personal choice's in my view.
Are you doing anything with your computer that would require more ram ?
A 22" monitor and a 5850 should suffice for pretty much any gaming, dual cards in my opinion would be pointless, unless you upgraded the monitor.
Haven't looked into SSD's yet, Raided WD Black's give me all the performance I need.

G

Im running 2 24inch both 1080p as of now. Humm 6 gigs just sounds low to me =( am i just being stupid? or should i just upgrade it to 12 gig Ram and just get the dual 5850's for giggles? I mean it should improve something right?

I saw Phillips 22 and thought monitor , sorry, have stuff going on.

2 x 24 inch monitors, get the second card.

Again, unless you need the extra ram for running multiple applications or virtual machine, I don't see it as being needed.

Solution
G

Thank you for your advise delluser1!

do i plug each monitor to each indviudual video card or do i just plug both into one video card? i've never done dual GPU.

I know this might be out of track. What is bottleknecking and will i have an issue. >.<

Thank you thank you!