Sign in with
Your question

How to put windows 8 on my ssd?

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2012 3:37:09 PM

If I am using my hard drive as my boot drive right now. Can I use my ssd as my slave and only download windows 8 on there then switch out my hard drive with my ssd so that it boots off of that ad installs windows 8? New to downloading OS's thanks.

More about : put windows ssd

a b * Windows 8
a c 129 G Storage
June 29, 2012 4:28:13 PM

xa376 said:
If I am using my hard drive as my boot drive right now. Can I use my ssd as my slave and only download windows 8 on there then switch out my hard drive with my ssd so that it boots off of that ad installs windows 8? New to downloading OS's thanks.

if you have a newer bios you can boot off off the ssd or hard drive.booting that way you wont lose any data on your hard drive if you dont like windows 8 and want to remove it. to install windows the right way unplug the sata data cable to your hard drive so the windows installer only sees the ssd. with the iso image your going to make a boot cd or a usb stick and boot from the disk you made. windows installer will see the ssd if it has a partion on it you have to use the advance mode and remove it.
windows needs a blank device as it makes two partion a small system partion and the rest the os partion. if there no partion on the drive the windows 8 installer will start. it ask you for a few question...expand the files and then reboot.once the install is done and the updates loaded and the drivers for the sound/video/network card are installed. power down your pc and connect the hard drive cable back.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:36:39 PM

smorizio said:
if you have a newer bios you can boot off off the ssd or hard drive.booting that way you wont lose any data on your hard drive if you dont like windows 8 and want to remove it. to install windows the right way unplug the sata data cable to your hard drive so the windows installer only sees the ssd. with the iso image your going to make a boot cd or a usb stick and boot from the disk you made. windows installer will see the ssd if it has a partion on it you have to use the advance mode and remove it.
windows needs a blank device as it makes two partion a small system partion and the rest the os partion. if there no partion on the drive the windows 8 installer will start. it ask you for a few question...expand the files and then reboot.once the install is done and the updates loaded and the drivers for the sound/video/network card are installed. power down your pc and connect the hard drive cable back.

Well I would love to do that and that's what I was going to do. Problem is I have no disks. But I do have a USB. I downloaded the windows 8 iso and used the windows usb tool to make a bootable usb device. Problem is whenever I connect my usb and turn on the computer (this happens no matter what) the bios will freeze and sit there. I cannot press anything and my pc is unresponsive. If I plug out my usb it is still unresponsive. If I shut down my computer then plug the usb out then turn the computer back on then it will work. Just as long as the usb is not plugged into it while it is booting up. I have looked this up everyone and changed multiple settings but I cannot find a fix for this. Hence why I wanted to download it onto the ssd.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 129 G Storage
June 29, 2012 5:46:37 PM

i would try an new usb stick or post your mb info there may be a bios fix for it. from using windows beta before if you run it from inside windows 7 it will try an update windows 7. unless there a line command that microsoft uses to make windows no do an upgrade but you can do a clean install to a new drive inside of windows 7. i always used a blank drive and a cd or usb stick.
m
l
Related resources
!