Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

M4A89GTD Pro/USB3, 2 Ram sticks and no Post.

Last response: in Memory
Share
February 1, 2011 2:31:18 AM

Hello. First of all, sorry for my terrible English, I'm a Frenchie. I have a problem with my Ram. I have 2 ram sticks, and they each work fine in any of the 4 slots. But whenever I try using 2 sticks, nothing works. No post. Nothing.

Here are my specs:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 DDR3 AMD 890GX ATX 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 PCI-E4 2PCI VGA DVI Motherboard
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Kit
EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Fermi 700MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 6 Core Processor 2.8GHZ Socket AM3
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

This motherboard has a "MemOK" button beside the ram slots. It is supposed to fix ram problems I believe.
Computer works perfectly fine with only 1 stick, but as soon as I put in the other one, nothing happens. The computer starts, but no post. So I tried holding the MemOK button for a few seconds with both sticks in.
It works! For a few seconds. Post says they recognized the new ram configuration, and I need to press f1 to continue. I press f1, computer restarts, and then goes back to not working. No post again.
I know both ram sticks work as I have tried them individually. I really don't know what to do, and I don't have any knowledge in computer building (settings, bios and all that stuff). I have tried clearing cmos (I believe that's what I did, I removed the little battery thing from the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in). I have searched google for hours about this problem but couldn't find anything.
This computer was professionally built by the way, with only one ram stick because he could not figure out what was wrong when he put both sticks in after hours of scratching his head.
Please, help me!
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 12:30:53 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Try to use identical, matched sticks of RAM. If this does not work, you may need to upgrade (flash) the BIOS. Do this very carefully, per motherboard manufacturer's recommendations.

Good Luck!

(BTW, your English is quite good!)
m
0
l
February 1, 2011 6:34:27 PM

They are the same, matched sticks. They came in a pack of 2x2gb.
I'll try to upgrade the BIOS, I'll let you know how that works out! Thank you.

Oh and also, could it have something to do with voltage? Not sure if I have to adjust the ram voltage (not the default values).
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 6:55:17 PM

Yes, you may adjust the voltage, but do not exceed the manufacturer's upper limit.
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 2:15:18 AM

Yep I can't figure out what to do here, I really need help.
Step by step if possible. Thanks :( 
m
0
l
February 8, 2011 9:56:41 AM

Nothing there has helped, and the manual says 1.5v for the ram. And that's what my settings are at. Can someone help please?
m
0
l
February 26, 2011 9:25:29 AM

I still need help with this please! Problem hasn't been solved and I'm going crazy with only 2gb ram.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
February 26, 2011 3:19:17 PM

Have you checked each stick of RAM separately? This should be done using memtest86. Without doing this, there is no way of telling whether your RAM sticks are good.
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 3:28:20 PM

I have the same mobo and when using two stick the manual said to use 1&3 or 2&4
m
0
l
March 9, 2011 5:14:17 AM

Nope, I tried that already. I tried every possible slot combo, none worked.
And both ram sticks do work, I tested them already.
I'm out of ideas here...! :/ 
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 7:31:56 PM

I! have exactly the same problem I tried everything possible,clearing CMOS,trying different RAM slots,IT worked with the black slots for a few days and then if I get it to boot I get numerous BSOD,,black screens. I think it has some thing to do with the voltage but i tried increasing the voltage and it does the same thing.I hope someone out there can help us with this.I need more RAM to use my computer. BTW what RAM are U using? Iam using Corsair TW3X4G1333CDHX G.I also ran Memtest 86 and no errors reported. Maybe the RAM is incompatable.
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 7:35:04 PM

Sorry just saw your specs it is
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Kit
m
0
l
May 21, 2011 5:55:57 PM

i have a smiliar problem with this motherboard... but i have different ram...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 10, 2011 11:19:20 AM

I have the same situation, and seems that it is happening to a lot of people. I don't get why ASUS don't allow post codes on these boards to let us figure out what's bothering them. I have gone thru 2 boards with the same problem; all fans turn on but no POST and no BIOS.

Have done everything recommended on every forum; The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the CPU. It will be a great board if it will only boot.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 10, 2011 1:51:26 PM

CPUs rarely go bad. Start RMA procedures for the motherboard.
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 10:17:24 AM

Has anyone solved this - I have the following

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - AMD 890GX - Socket AM3 - PCI-E 2.0 (x16) - DDR3 2000(OC) - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 High Performance 650W Power Supply
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM
Antec Three Hundred Midi Case
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged
LG BH10LS30.AUAU10B 10x Internal Blu-Ray BDRW Bare + Software

Is there something incompatible here ?

Should the processor be an 890 or is the Phenom II X4 965 compatible - all i have is green led - have swapped switch have added sys speaker - no fans - no nothing ....
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 18, 2011 12:10:17 PM

pastyboy said:
Has anyone solved this - I have the following

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - AMD 890GX - Socket AM3 - PCI-E 2.0 (x16) - DDR3 2000(OC) - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 High Performance 650W Power Supply
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM
Antec Three Hundred Midi Case
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged
LG BH10LS30.AUAU10B 10x Internal Blu-Ray BDRW Bare + Software

Is there something incompatible here ?

Should the processor be an 890 or is the Phenom II X4 965 compatible - all i have is green led - have swapped switch have added sys speaker - no fans - no nothing ....

Please start your own thread.
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 12:17:36 PM

Ubrales said:
Please start your own thread.


Thanks - have done so.... sorry.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 3:22:59 PM

i had the same issue. i had to downgrade the bios to revision 17xx. this is the only bios i could get both sticks of ram working with no bsod`s. i noticed this after i upgraded the bios to the later versions. as soon as i did this i started getting bsod`s, once i downgraded it was stable with 2 sticks of ram. its worth a try.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 21, 2011 4:10:40 PM

maguln8839 said:
i had the same issue. i had to downgrade the bios to revision 17xx. this is the only bios i could get both sticks of ram working with no bsod`s. i noticed this after i upgraded the bios to the later versions. as soon as i did this i started getting bsod`s, once i downgraded it was stable with 2 sticks of ram. its worth a try.

Yes. Normally there is no need to flash the BIOS or upgrade the video card driver. Usually there is a list of explanations that accompany the new release. If it doesn't affect my hardware or software, I do not install the new release. My practice is that if it works, don't mess with it.

On one occasion, I had upgraded and installed the latest Nvidia driver, and some problems started with certain programs. I reverted to the old driver and now everything is running well.
m
0
l
December 18, 2011 6:50:13 PM

gabba_49 said:
I! have exactly the same problem I tried everything possible,clearing CMOS,trying different RAM slots,IT worked with the black slots for a few days and then if I get it to boot I get numerous BSOD,,black screens. I think it has some thing to do with the voltage but i tried increasing the voltage and it does the same thing.I hope someone out there can help us with this.I need more RAM to use my computer. BTW what RAM are U using? Iam using Corsair TW3X4G1333CDHX G.I also ran Memtest 86 and no errors reported. Maybe the RAM is incompatable.

well, I'll tell you folks. Im running 16gb vengence at 1600..no issues
m
0
l
December 18, 2011 6:52:33 PM

Ubrales said:
Please start your own thread.

well, I'll tell you folks. Im running 16gb vengence at 1600..no issues
m
0
l
December 18, 2011 6:53:09 PM

Quote:
I have the same situation, and seems that it is happening to a lot of people. I don't get why ASUS don't allow post codes on these boards to let us figure out what's bothering them. I have gone thru 2 boards with the same problem; all fans turn on but no POST and no BIOS.

Have done everything recommended on every forum; The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the CPU. It will be a great board if it will only boot.

well, I'll tell you folks. Im running 16gb vengence at 1600..no issues
m
0
l
!