Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a high quality cheep pci-x video card old style

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2010 12:32:27 AM

Hello,
I need to upgrade an old IBM xSeries server that has the ol'e 8mb video on-board....any sugestions....Money is a huge factor....I'm broke...LoL! I have some great new boards to trade.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 1:51:15 AM

What kind of performance do you need?
What are you doing with it?
Price Range?
Resolution?

A lot of questions but there are so many different things on the market, we gotta narrow it down ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 2:37:39 AM

+1 ^
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 3:01:21 AM

Maybe the first question to ask is WHAT IBM SERVER MOTHERBOARD?... It really might help define the hardware options..
m
l
April 22, 2010 12:47:58 AM

server is an Ibm eserver 235 an I'd like to run some games that are out there ...I'm a flight simulator guy ....I might be asking too much but I love the redundency of these things. I have 5 73 gb hd's running and have been running vista believe it or not without problems even with 8mgs for video. I would die if there was a trip card for three moniters but I like my house and don't want to take out a second mort. My pocket wimpers about 30-50 bucks....am i asking to little?...Thanks for your input...Mike
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 1:46:48 AM

Well I just want to remind you that old PCI cards tend to cost more than they're worth just because they're rare and expensive to keep in stock.

While a bit out of your budget, I recommend you get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think that's the only thing that's even remotely worth buying. However, don't expect much out of a PCI video card in general.
m
l
April 29, 2010 12:37:37 AM

Thanks for your input...I've seen some cards as high as $600 bucks...talk about having a heart attack...I could buy four of these computers for that price ! LOL! I'll check into that card it sound like a winner so far.....Mike
m
l

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 1:18:40 AM

Don't get the 9400GT. The 9500GT is much, much better for gaming and the cost is very similar;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 29, 2010 1:32:42 AM

Thanks again...looks like I can bring new life back to the video aspect of this baby!
m
l
May 9, 2010 11:28:52 AM

Hi folks...I just wanted to take the time to thank you all for your help in finding a video card. I stumbled on a ATI Sapphire r 7000 32 bit ddr pci vga/tvo/dvi-1 and let me tell ya something...its no tv but compared to the old 8mb vid its like night and day. I figure it will work until i get a little exra cash in my pocket to buy one of the other cards you guys told me about. I got this card for 8 bucks brand new...what a deal. Again thanks for all the input...youv'e been great!....Mike
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:32:52 AM

Best answer selected by rimichael.
m
l
!