Converting from single to dual monitors

ZeeKay

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

I have a desktop computer with a single monitor attached. I am planning to buy another monitor and would like to use them both in extended desktop configuration.

Here is what I have right now:

- Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 204B (24" with 1920x1200 resolution).
- Motherboard: Tyan S2895A2NRF K8WE Dual Opteron
- CPUs: 2 Opterons 246
- Memory: 10GB RAM
- Display Card: Whatever came with the motherboard (supports 1 monitor only)

I would like to buy a 28"+ monitor with 1920x1200 or more resolution and will use it side by side with my current one. I would also like the new monitor to have an HDMI input, so that I can watch TV online (with sound).

I know that I need to buy a new video card to support 2 monitor configuration and I have narrowed down a EVGA 01G-P3-N959TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card so far.

I'm looking at a budget solution and do not play games on PC that much, just internet, videos, multimedia, picture editing, video editing etc.

Here are my questions:

- Have I selected a good enough video card for my needs? I need to know if it will support 2 monitors and HDTV output. If not, please explain why and provide an alternate choice.

- The video card does not provide an HDMI output for watching online TV (Hulu, YouTube etc.). Should I be looking for a video card with an HDMI output and 2 DVI outputs? If yes, what are my choices?

Thanks
ZeeKay

Yes, the 9500GT is more than enough for what you plan to do.

The video card does not provide an HDMI output for watching online TV (Hulu, YouTube etc.).
Wait, what?!?!?! AFAIK, you don't need a HDMI output to watch online TV. Are you trying to play sound via HDMI?

Also, WHY are you still running XP x64? I personally would expect a build like this to run Server 2xxx

ZeeKay

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Wait, what?!?!?! AFAIK, you don't need a HDMI output to watch online TV. Are you trying to play sound via HDMI?
Yes. What else?

Also, WHY are you still running XP x64? I personally would expect a build like this to run Server 2xxx
Where did you get XP x64? I'm running Win7 x64.
And I just like it this way.

Thanks for the reply to my question.
ZeeKay