Windows XP 4gb maximum ram

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Sort of revisiting an old topic here. I have 8gb's of RAM installed and of course task manager says 3gb. I've searched and discovered the reason is due to windows xp 32-bit. Obviously I can upgrade to windows 7 64-bit but I still wanted to wait a while before that. So are there any new/reliable work-arounds I could do to utilize the full amount? Any help is appreciated.

mavroxur

Distinguished
It's due to the available address space in 32-bit WinXP. There are no work-arounds for this.

*EDIT*
And before some smarty-pants adds this, i know that /PAE used to allow >4GB, however, MS removed this since SP2. Pre-SP2 installs would allow it, but who runs XP SP0/1 any more? And yes, it worked, and yes, it had several compatability issues when running >4gb due to drivers not being written with PAE in mind.

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I've heard of other programs that would use the extra ram as though it was a hard drive for page filing, I'm not sure how reliable this is though, let alone if they even work to begin with.

You may be referring to some flash drives being able to use a partition of the storage space on said flash drive as sort of a buffer that acts like RAM. Some flash drives have this option. This is called Ready Boost.