Phenom II X3 720 Gaming Issue

missilemaker188

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hello,

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 cpu that is acting a little strange with a MMO game.

My specs
Phenom II X3 720
ASUS M4A78 Plus MOBO
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770
4g Ram
Win 7 64bit

I've updated all my drivers, bios, etc.

I try to run the game at max settings but I get a some stuttering and less to be desired performance.. I also get some stuttering on other lower settings. I read someplace that single core apps don't work well with multi-core systems. So I tested that theory on the game.

I accessed my task manager with the game running and changed the core affinity (of the game) to 1 core. Bam! That smooth things out quite a bit. I retested with 3 cores and it returned to stuttering.

I also tested it with 2 cores. Bam! Same results. Smoother gameplay. But with the 3rd core on, everything is blah.

I get decent performance with all three, but not near as good with just 1-2 cores.

Anyone know what is causing this to happen? This is odd.

Thanks in advance

missilemaker188

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

No it's not V-Sync. It's the over all stability. It works to some degree, but it struggles. Deactivating the 3rd core helps a lot. I"m not sure if deactivating "any" of the three would matter or is it that 3rd core? I'll test that theory.

Will this damage the cpu in any way? What are the drawbacks or risk in deactivating cores for certain processes?

Lastly, is there a quicker way to activate/deactivate cores? I'm considering making the game process on one core, while most everything else on the other cores.