Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU and RAM usage drop after new thermal paste?

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2010 1:03:05 AM

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been on this site many time to find answers to my computer problems. Recently, I applied new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) to my CPU because it shut down on me a couple of times when CPU usage was at >95%. After applying the paste I noticed that my computer was using only 850-900 MB of RAM out of 3 GB total (before it used to be 1.20 GB) and CPU usage goes down to 0% when idle. Also my computer seems to be running faster. So basically my question is, am I imagining Stuff or does a decrease in CPU temp make your computer run more efficiently?
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 2:11:55 AM

Your results sound pretty dramatic. Proper application of the TIM and the HSF will decrease the CPU temp if the original install was too thick or the HSF was not pressed tightly against the CPU.

A 25% decrease in RAM use is caused by something else, it sounds you shut-down some processes or services to get that (or uninstalled something like an anti-virus program). If you shut down processes or services, that would also account for the drop in CPU utilization.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 2:23:04 AM

It sounds to me that you were hitting the temperature threshold and the CPU was automatically downclocking to try to prevent itself from dying. Since it would have been at a lower clock, it needed more CPU usage to accomplish the same tasks.

850-900 MB of RAM out of 3 GB total (before it used to be 1.20 GB
This I can't explain relative to the only change being your new TIM.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 2:35:29 PM

What OS are you running? If it's windows 7, it might be normal as it optimizes itself, especially in the period following the install. This might have caused a change in ram usage.
July 22, 2010 1:08:17 AM

I'm running Windows 7 but I installed it a while back. And I haven't uninstalled any programs since I've put on the paste.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 4:15:43 PM

Would not worry to much about it. In the end, your pc turns up to be better than before as less ram is used by the os and more will be available for apps.
m
l
July 24, 2010 5:00:26 PM

Best answer selected by rb0155.
m
l
!