IBM T23 - fan never turns off?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 11:40:31 AM

I have just got an IBM t23 with Intel 1.1ghz CPU and the fan never seems to
turn off. Is this correct, as I thought laptops should be silent

More about : ibm t23 fan turns

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 4:09:55 PM

"adamski13" <adamki13@nospam> wrote:

> I have just got an IBM t23 with Intel 1.1ghz CPU and the fan never seems to
> turn off. Is this correct, as I thought laptops should be silent

This is normal with some models.
What you can do is go in the Power Management configuration and choose
an adaptive mode so the machine doesn't run at full-gas unless
necessary. A mode such as this will likely lower the CPU's clock down
to maybe 800ghz (my T23 is 1.0, so it goes down to 729ghz), as well as
decrease the LCD's brightness and stop the HD after a certain time
which you can specify. This way, the fan might turn on less
frequently.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 5:51:49 PM

Let me hop on the wagon if I may:

I have an A31p that I run without the battery, but it appears to only
run at 1.2 GHz instead of the rated 1.7. Am I wrong? Does it run up
to max when demand demands, or is it stuck at 1.2 no matter what? I
hope I'm clear; sorry if not. TIA.

|"adamski13" <adamki13@nospam> wrote:

|> I have just got an IBM t23 with Intel 1.1ghz CPU and the fan never seems to
|> turn off. Is this correct, as I thought laptops should be silent
|
|This is normal with some models.
|What you can do is go in the Power Management configuration and choose
|an adaptive mode so the machine doesn't run at full-gas unless
|necessary. A mode such as this will likely lower the CPU's clock down
|to maybe 800ghz (my T23 is 1.0, so it goes down to 729ghz), as well as
|decrease the LCD's brightness and stop the HD after a certain time
|which you can specify. This way, the fan might turn on less
|frequently.
|Hope this helps.
a b D Laptop
October 5, 2004 5:50:53 PM

FulanoDeTal <FulanoDeTal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let me hop on the wagon if I may:
>
> I have an A31p that I run without the battery, but it appears to only
> run at 1.2 GHz instead of the rated 1.7. Am I wrong? Does it run up
> to max when demand demands, or is it stuck at 1.2 no matter what? I
> hope I'm clear; sorry if not. TIA.

The A31 models (as well as several other recent Thinkpads) require that BOTH
the battery and AC be connected in order to run at their full rated speed.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 2:32:16 AM

|FulanoDeTal <FulanoDeTal@yahoo.com> wrote:
|> Let me hop on the wagon if I may:
|>
|> I have an A31p that I run without the battery, but it appears to only
|> run at 1.2 GHz instead of the rated 1.7. Am I wrong? Does it run up
|> to max when demand demands, or is it stuck at 1.2 no matter what? I
|> hope I'm clear; sorry if not. TIA.
|
|The A31 models (as well as several other recent Thinkpads) require that BOTH
|the battery and AC be connected in order to run at their full rated speed.

Aarrgh! Well... thanks anyway.
!