Does distance affect connectivity

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Laptops
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 17, 2010 2:43:35 PM

Hi,

i seem to have a problem with getting network in my room using my laptop. this has seemed to be the case recently. it wasn't like this before. everytime i move the laptop into the room, it would say limited or no connectivity. does anyone know what the problem might be? i was wondering if it could be the range, my wireless card, too many obstructions. please advise. thank you. help would be much appreciated.

More about : distance affect connectivity

May 17, 2010 3:02:50 PM

Generally, distance does affect your connectivity. The further away you are from the source of the signal the weaker it gets. The number of walls in between you and the source also affects the signal strength and thus affecting you connectivity. There are settings on most routers that allow you to "boost" or turn up the wireless signal to make it reach further, but be ware that if the network is unsecured and the signal reaches outside the limits of your home, people driving by are easily able to pick up the signal and get on your network. Along with your neighbors and etc.

Hope this helps.
m
l
May 18, 2010 1:36:00 AM

thanks for your help derrick. i have a secured network. i shall try configuring the settings on the router to "boost" the wireless signal as you have said. thanks once again.
m
l
!