Anyone know about the BIOS being phased out and when?

senile

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I was just reading a comment over on the Dell website regarding Dell’s New XPS 8300 Desktop. This is what he said:

"I wouldn't buy one. Not yet. Because approximately 6 months ago it was reported that in 2011 BIOS was going to be phased out by computer manufacturers. And when that happens that means that an operating system should be able to start up and close almost as fast as turning on a light by flipping a light switch."

I hadn't heard this, anyone else?

If true, when should this take affect and should I wait to buy a new computer?

mrangerm

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Not sure about turning on a computer that fast, but I have seen videos showing the new EFI Bios. It's an awesome looking interface where you can even use your mouse in the bios, and it looks much simpler so that many more people will feel comfortable using it. Also, overclocking is automated so you don't have to actually know anything about overclocking.

I have a 2 year old LGA775 motherboard with an E8400. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon because my system is awesome, but when I do it will have to be with the new efi bios.

joe28gamerz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
MMMMmmm i dunno dude, iv not heard about it, i cant c it happening anytime soon, not with other manufacturers anyway, and if anything id rather have a bios and my pc take a extra few secs to turn on and off than no bios. but it wud be interesting to see and still raises alot of questions.
p.s dont buy a dell :) build ur own 1 with a bios,lol :)

senile

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

Well, not much of a PC gamer and hadn't built a PC in a long time since I usually can get a deal on a prebuilt for much less. I just bought this deal but because of the whole SB news today, I cancelled it. In search of another deal, I read that comment and it got me thinking I should wait now.

If you or someone could steer me in the right direction to build a comparable system for the same or lower price, I would build it. I guess it could be a little more if it had the actual graphics card I wanted and more memory. Both were going to be upgrade once I received it.

But I was really looking forward to the SB!

You should almost never "hold off" buying a new PC unless the technology you are waiting on is something you very specifically need. It does not matter what you buy, or when you buy it, there is always something better coming in a few months. You buy a new PC when you feel like you need one. And personally, I prefer not to be an early adopter of new parts or technology. I like to wait 6 months to a year and let other impatient types sort out all the bugs and glitches before I open my wallet.