Sign in with
Your question

Xfi vs on board

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2010 11:30:03 PM

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard having A Realtek ALC888 based on board audio VS my current older AMD Opteron 170 (think slightly beefier version of the legendary 3800). I used the best sound I could get at the time and splurged for a dedicated Xfi with a breakout box and all. I never used the box but I had issues finding the card at the time without it. It SEEMs to be the same one as the fatality editions are today. Its PCI based though, but this new board has 3 PCI slots, of at least 2 should be usable.

Will the dedicated sound card sound better than the on board realtec? My particular Xfi is the full one, not a partial one that still relies on some on board such. It should be better than many ad-ins. Back in the day when I built this system (4 years ago exactly) it was a difference and a reduced load on the

This is a copy/paste repost because the original had a title all messed up and I could not fix it.

TIA

HideOut

More about : xfi board

a b å Intel
May 15, 2010 11:55:34 PM

It is hard to say... I would recommend running the sound off of the on-board sound first and see how it sounds. If you like the sound, I would go with the on-board sound and eBay your old sound card. :) 

If you don't like on-board, put in your sound card and have at it (make sure it supports what ever OS you are running now, if different, to make sure of no issues)
m
l
May 16, 2010 12:35:41 AM

I would enlist someone to help, then have them do a blind test.

Have them ask you wich one sounds better to you to elimante all physcolgical poetentail varibles.
m
l
!