Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade from 2GB to 4GB problem

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 9:49:37 AM

Hello, I recently purchased some extra RAM. I'm trying to upgrade from 2 gigs of DDR2 800 to 4 gigs. The RAM is exactly the same type as each other, and by the same manufacturer.

However when I put all 4 RAM it at once I cannot get MY PC to boot up. I've tried tested them individually to make sure they work. And when I attempt to boot up with just 3gb RAM, it boots but only reads it as 3gb RAM. Is the something I need to adjust in BIOS for me to be able to boot up with 4gb RAM.

I am running Windows XP32 with a AMD X2 5600+
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 10:31:02 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
You mentioned that you when you boot up with 3GB,it only reads 3GB.I guess you meant you install 4GB but your system reads 3GB of it right? If so,then that's because of your OS.
32bit OS's recognize max 3.2GB of RAM installed.You have to install a 64bit OS so that all the 4GB RAM becomes usable.
February 1, 2011 11:24:35 AM

Maziar said:
You mentioned that you when you boot up with 3GB,it only reads 3GB.I guess you meant you install 4GB but your system reads 3GB of it right? If so,then that's because of your OS.
32bit OS's recognize max 3.2GB of RAM installed.You have to install a 64bit OS so that all the 4GB RAM becomes usable.

Actually, the 32-bit interface allows for up to 4GB to be read. That is, in theory -> 2^32 =~ 4.2Billion, which is around 4GB. BUT because of funny ways to split the memory in the specific 32-bit OS means only around 3GB will be available... Bummer, but that's life!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 12:28:51 PM

Maziar said:

Sorry that was a typo. I meant to type when I boot up with 3GB, it only reads 2GB. I'm not actually able to get my PC to boot up when all 4GB is installed onto the motherboard.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 12:56:17 PM

Update: Okay I am now reading 3GB RAM with 3GB RAM installed, but for some odd reason now my processor is only reading at 994 Mhz. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 1:45:08 PM

That's strange.
Have you tried updating your BIOS ?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 8:01:57 PM

It could be an issue with my BIOS battery. I'm able to get it to read correctly now, however I still have that same issue when I install the 4th stick of RAM. It doesn't seem to want to boot up with more than 3GB in my motherboard.
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 9:19:53 PM

Have you checked the QVL of the motherboard for that memory configuration? It's possible that your motherboard will work with 2 sticks of that ram, but not with 4 sticks.
a b } Memory
February 2, 2011 1:10:51 AM

Could be that you need to up the voltage a little. This will happen sometimes going from 2 to 4 sticks. Easy fix.
February 4, 2011 8:47:43 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Could be that you need to up the voltage a little. This will happen sometimes going from 2 to 4 sticks. Easy fix.

Up the voltage to what amount exatclty? I currently have it at 1.9v to match the RAM. Also, I'm still having the same issue when I have more than 2 sticks of RAM in my motherboard. For some reason my Processor, in System Properties is only reading at 994Mhz when it should be reading at something close to 2.8Ghz. Any ideas?
a b } Memory
February 5, 2011 6:30:21 AM

It seems the OP is no longer registered to the forums,so I'll close this topic.
!