Warren Spector in charge of TR7?

Sure you all remeber that rumour from several months ago that Warren
Spector (of System Shock 2, Thief, Deus Ex fame) had been put in charge
of developing the next Tomb Raider game? Well heres a bit more
confirmation of that rumour, from a gamespot article about that *other*
rumour about his supposedly leaving Ion Storm/Eidos to form his own
company:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/28/news_6099547.html

> "A Spector departure would have even more serious ramifications,
> seeing how he is reportedly supervising the all-new--and all-
> important--latest installment in the Tomb Raider franchise."

The 'all-important' here is of course referring to Eidos's latest (or
more accurately, *ongoing*) financial woes.

The other news from this is that Ion Storm are supposed going to become
a console-only developer. But then given the way they designed DXIW and
Thief3 that's just not surprising anymore is it?... :(

Personally I think this is good news if true. To my mind it cancels out
some of the negatives associated with TR being moved to Crystal
Dynamics; eg., losing it's essential 'British' aspects and ambience to
an american development crew who have no concept of such -- Spector's
games do feature a lot of personality that's tinged with hints of the UK
(and I'm not just referring to the OTT English accents in Thief).

He's also on record as disagreeing with some of the more strange
decisions made, re: DXIW (where he was just a 'consultant' to the
Smith-guy who bears most of the blame there) -- his objections being
mainly about the unified ammo and most of the other gameplay
'streamlining'. Hopefully this will translate into TR itself becoming a
bit more like DX/Thief/SS2 and not a pure console-simplified arcade
game.

--
snark^ #gameplanet channel on the etg IRC network snark(at)
www.gameplanet.co.nz ICQ: 1471203 paradise(dot)net(dot)nz

"snark^" wrote

<snip>

> He's also on record as disagreeing with some of the more strange
> decisions made, re: DXIW (where he was just a 'consultant' to the
> Smith-guy who bears most of the blame there) -- his objections being
> mainly about the unified ammo and most of the other gameplay
> 'streamlining'. Hopefully this will translate into TR itself becoming a
> bit more like DX/Thief/SS2 and not a pure console-simplified arcade
> game.

OK, I'll confess that I'm quite sure what an "arcade" means anymore...

In playing a custom level (Aegean Legends) I was thinking that: isn't that
sort of the beauty of the "classic" TR games?

They *are* kind of "arcade-like" in that they're blocky and unrealistic, but
that's what makes them fun!

Most of the time...

In the Knossos, I'm stuck on the
"throw-switch-and-dash-like-mad-to-the-timed-door" part! :)

<whining>

I'm so rusty!

I keep running poor Lara into walls!

And that's right in the old faq isn't it?

"Please don't keep running Lara into walls!"

"ooof!"

---

Seriously though, it's amazing what people like "Trix" have done with the
editor. New textures, sounds and even objects for their levels...

They've definitely raised the bar for CD and Spector imho...

Some of these "amateur" levels look so slick now, that they could've been
"TRLR/TRC Gold" imho.

Oh, and I *love* Lara in her Aegean get up. Black sports top, gun belt &
shorts...

She positively *dashing*!

Yes dashing into walls at Knossos!

<grumble>

I'm going to beat that timed sprint yet!

Off to go try again! :)

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=

> "snark^" waffled:
> > 'streamlining'. Hopefully this will translate into TR itself becoming a
> > bit more like DX/Thief/SS2 and not a pure console-simplified arcade
> > game.
>
> OK, I'll confess that I'm quite sure what an "arcade" means anymore...

Well in TR's case, 'arcade' would mean no depth to the gameplay. Or
less depth than what we've had before at least. I've always felt TR
would be best suited towards a more RPG style of play, as games in
general have gotten better over time (hell, it's been the prime point of
most of my rants over the last seven years here on a.g.t), but I've had
the sneaking suspicion since I heard the news that CD is taking over
that they'll just turn it into an even simpler version of TR1 -- no
backpack, or much in the way of puzzle solving; just a fancy collection
of gun/powerup pickups and the odd coloured key as you shoot your way
through the levels.

--
I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter

"snark^" wrote

> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
> warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=
>
> > "snark^" waffled:
> > > 'streamlining'. Hopefully this will translate into TR itself becoming
> > > bit more like DX/Thief/SS2 and not a pure console-simplified arcade
> > > game.
> >
> > OK, I'll confess that I'm quite sure what an "arcade" means anymore...
>
> Well in TR's case, 'arcade' would mean no depth to the gameplay. Or
> less depth than what we've had before at least. I've always felt TR
> would be best suited towards a more RPG style of play, as games in
> general have gotten better over time (hell, it's been the prime point of
> most of my rants over the last seven years here on a.g.t), but I've had
> the sneaking suspicion since I heard the news that CD is taking over
> that they'll just turn it into an even simpler version of TR1 -- no
> backpack, or much in the way of puzzle solving; just a fancy collection
> of gun/powerup pickups and the odd coloured key as you shoot your way
> through the levels.

No backpack!???

They'd better watch out or they'll have a full scale riot on their hands!
:)

As for TR7 in general-- you're far more knowledgeable about games than I am.

I hope-- I * pray*-- your suspicious prove unfounded or yes-- maybe TR as I
used to think of it anyway, might have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

An interactive "video" novel then? Go here, do this & that; watch a
cutscene...

Now head on over here, do this that & the other and...

....Be treated to another nifty cutscene...

---

I hope not... : /

> --
> I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter
> in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be

So any good "Sci-Fi" reads lately?

Actually subscribed to "rec.arts.sf.written", but it looks as if they're
just chit-chatting about most anything. (We'd never do that here) Bruce
now in "lurk" mode at the sci-fi group... :)

"Dr. Richard Cranium" wrote:

> you can't drink the same beer twice...........

Yes you could, (sort of)... but I wouldn't recommend it. :p

-- G

> "snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
> > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
> > warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=
> >
> > > "snark^" waffled:
> > >
> > > OK, I'll confess that I'm quite sure what an "arcade" means anymore...
> >
> > Well in TR's case, 'arcade' would mean no depth to the gameplay. Or
> > less depth than what we've had before at least. I've always felt TR
> > would be best suited towards a more RPG style of play, as games in
> > general have gotten better over time (hell, it's been the prime point of
> > most of my rants over the last seven years here on a.g.t), but I've had
> > the sneaking suspicion since I heard the news that CD is taking over
> > that they'll just turn it into an even simpler version of TR1 -- no
> > backpack, or much in the way of puzzle solving; just a fancy collection
> > of gun/powerup pickups and the odd coloured key as you shoot your way
> > through the levels.
> >

> > --
> > I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> > off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter
> > in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be
> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
> warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=
<snippity snip snip>

> --
> I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter
> in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be

It's only the spammers that like to flame to unrepcedented levels in
r.a.sf.w....wonder why I haven't posted at r.a..sf.w.robert-jordan for a
year or two....open your mouth and you're doomed.

Oh I really detest SCF readers....they're so....closed minded and
pretentious.

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message

> "snark^" wrote
>
> > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
> > warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=
> >
> > > "snark^" waffled:
> > >
> > > OK, I'll confess that I'm quite sure what an "arcade" means anymore...
> >
> > Well in TR's case, 'arcade' would mean no depth to the gameplay. Or
> > less depth than what we've had before at least. I've always felt TR
> > would be best suited towards a more RPG style of play, as games in
> > general have gotten better over time (hell, it's been the prime point of
> > most of my rants over the last seven years here on a.g.t), but I've had
> > the sneaking suspicion since I heard the news that CD is taking over
> > that they'll just turn it into an even simpler version of TR1 -- no
> > backpack, or much in the way of puzzle solving; just a fancy collection
> > of gun/powerup pickups and the odd coloured key as you shoot your way
> > through the levels.
> >

> No backpack!???
>
> They'd better watch out or they'll have a full scale riot on their hands!
> :)
>
> As for TR7 in general-- you're far more knowledgeable about games than I
am.

> I hope-- I * pray*-- your suspicious prove unfounded or yes-- maybe TR as
> used to think of it anyway, might have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
>
> An interactive "video" novel then? Go here, do this & that; watch a
> cutscene...
>
> Now head on over here, do this that & the other and...
>
> ...Be treated to another nifty cutscene...
>

> ---
>
> I hope not... : /

Oh joy. I can hardly contain my excitement if the above assumptions hold
true. Yay for me. Indeed.

> > --
> > I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> > off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter
> > in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be
>

> So any good "Sci-Fi" reads lately?
>
> Actually subscribed to "rec.arts.sf.written", but it looks as if they're
> just chit-chatting about most anything. (We'd never do that here) Bruce
> now in "lurk" mode at the sci-fi group... :)

Oh oh oh! Which reminds me I must finish writing up my *Top Literature
Picks* and *Top SCF Picks* for work....hmm when I'm done, perchance I shall
post for yez?

"Dragoncarer" wrote

<snip>

> > > --
> > > I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> > > off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts
glitter
> > > in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will
be

> > So any good "Sci-Fi" reads lately?
> >
> > Actually subscribed to "rec.arts.sf.written", but it looks as if they're
> > just chit-chatting about most anything. (We'd never do that here)
Bruce
> > now in "lurk" mode at the sci-fi group... :)
> >

> Oh oh oh! Which reminds me I must finish writing up my *Top Literature
> Picks* and *Top SCF Picks* for work....hmm when I'm done, perchance I
shall
> post for yez?

When I'm not having to abstract needlessly verbose psycho articles-- and
have you seen some of these things-- gods-- it's as if they *want* them to
be completely incomprehensible-- yes-- I'm in need of some nice recreational
reading. :)

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
warbled on about "Warren Spector in charge of TR7?" in a.g.t <<=

> I hope-- I * pray*-- your suspicious prove unfounded or yes-- maybe TR as I
> used to think of it anyway, might have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
>
> An interactive "video" novel then? Go here, do this & that; watch a
> cutscene...
>
> Now head on over here, do this that & the other and...
>
> ...Be treated to another nifty cutscene...

Hey, you've just perfectly described console gaming! :D

> > I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
> > off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter
> > in the ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be
> > lost in time -- like beers in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.
>
> So any good "Sci-Fi" reads lately?
>
> Actually subscribed to "rec.arts.sf.written", but it looks as if they're
> just chit-chatting about most anything. (We'd never do that here) Bruce
> now in "lurk" mode at the sci-fi group... :)

Hang with r.a.sf.w for while and you'll get into it. Lots of authors
post there as well as some really knowledgable fans. I've definately
picked up a healthy understanding of the actual working of all the big
skiffy ideas that get used in the books too: Dyson Spheres, workable ion
drives, etc.

Currently my skiffy reading has been light although I can recommend a
few:

Kim Newman's - Dracula Cha Cha Cha + the two earlier volumes: Anno
Dracula and The Bloody Red Baron -- all take place in a world where Drac
_won_, having fought off Van Helsing and co. in Stoker's version of
events. Fourth one due out soon called _Johnny Alucard_.

Iain M Banks - any of his Culture stuff.

Alastair Reynolds - Diamond Dogs & Turquoise Days + others in his
Revelation Space series.

Mary 'Notso' Gentle - Book of Ash (comes in four separate volumes
outside the UK: Ash: A Secret History; Carthage Ascendant; The Wild
Machines; Lost Burgundy)

Michael Swanwick - The Iron Dragon's Daughter (*not* for lovers of fairy
tales).

China Mielville - Perdido Stret Station; The Scar.

Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood books (4 now).

--
Pages turned in last week: 250+ Books hurled across room: 0
Last read: Dracula Cha Cha Cha (Kim Newman)

"snark^" wrote

<snip>

> > ...Be treated to another nifty cutscene...
>
> Hey, you've just perfectly described console gaming! :D

Ah.....

<ruefully smiles as comprehension starts to set in...>

Wonder if that's what Call of Cthulhu will end up being. Hope not!

> > So any good "Sci-Fi" reads lately?
> >
> > Actually subscribed to "rec.arts.sf.written", but it looks as if they're
> > just chit-chatting about most anything. (We'd never do that here)
Bruce
> > now in "lurk" mode at the sci-fi group... :)
>
> Hang with r.a.sf.w for while and you'll get into it. Lots of authors
> post there as well as some really knowledgable fans. I've definately
> picked up a healthy understanding of the actual working of all the big
> skiffy ideas that get used in the books too: Dyson Spheres, workable ion
> drives, etc.

Still pondering the whole "worm-hole" cliche myself.

Saw a documentary where physicists were saying that even *if* all the
assumptions were true, a man sized portal would *still* probably need "dark
matter" equivalent to the planet Jupiter to keep a "Star Gate" open for
longer than a "yocto-second" or some equally incomprehensible unit of
measure.

(It must really be nice to be that smart-- most of what they were trying to
say went way over my head...<g>)

> Currently my skiffy reading has been light although I can recommend a
> few:

<snip list to save scrolling>

Thx

Will give me something to read that's fun! :)