Vintage 1983 GRiD 1101 Laptop - First Clamshell Laptop - U..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

FOR AUCTION:

A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.

Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
of money.

Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
3 answers Last reply
More about vintage 1983 grid 1101 laptop clamshell laptop

    Ryan Wilkinson wrote:

    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    >
    > FOR AUCTION:
    >
    > A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
    > accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
    > design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
    > fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.
    >
    > Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
    > and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
    > of money.
    >
    > Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

    Worth a lot of money? I gave mine away a few years ago, and figured I
    got what it was worth :)

    Lisa

    "Ryan Wilkinson" <dstorage4@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    >
    > FOR AUCTION:
    >
    > A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
    > accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
    > design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
    > fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.
    >
    > Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
    > and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
    > of money.
    >
    > Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5126755783&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

    DOS or CPM? Guaranteed NOT DOA? How's the battery after 21 years?

    I have the Grid 1720, super fine laptop in its days and still works, but not
    worth much now.

    GRiD had a couple of different options for operating systems in their initial
    systems, CCOS (Compass Computer Operating System) and MS-DOS. There was also a
    ``GRiDMaster'' line of programs which could be had on ROM chips, unimaginately
    named they included things like, ``GRiDwrite''.

    I was always kind of bummed for having gotten a system w/ the gas plasma
    display instead of the electroluminescent LCD, and an internal floppy instead
    of HD (they had a line of really cool peripherals which all stacked on top of
    each other). Oh well, didn't miss the GRiD much once I got my ThinkPad 755C and
    docking station, and miss it all even less since getting a Fujitsu Stylistic.

    William

    --
    William Adams
    http://members.aol.com/willadams