software using dial up instead of wireless broadband

I have 2 machines connected to a router and then to cable modem. On my
laptop, the setup seems to work well with almost all software applications
but there are some applications that use the dial up connection to access the
internet instead of the available broadband connection. An example is Norton
Antivirus 2004. When it runs Live Update, it uses a dial up connection
instead of the wireless broadband connection. Is there a setting that I can
change so that this doesn't happen anymore? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about software dial wireless broadband

    Did you check the "Symantec web site"? How about "Symantec's 'help &
    support'" for configuring "autoupdates"? How about "How Live Update
    accesses the internet" in the "Live Update Applet" in control panel? By
    default Norton's "Live Update" uses IE's default connection - so somewhere
    along the line, you've had to have changed it.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    "Adit Shah" <aditshah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have 2 machines connected to a router and then to cable modem. On my
    > laptop, the setup seems to work well with almost all software applications
    > but there are some applications that use the dial up connection to access
    the
    > internet instead of the available broadband connection. An example is
    Norton
    > Antivirus 2004. When it runs Live Update, it uses a dial up connection
    > instead of the wireless broadband connection. Is there a setting that I
    can
    > change so that this doesn't happen anymore? Thanks.

    The problem isn't isolated to Norton antivirus, I was using it as an example.
    There are a couple of other programs that also dial out instead of using the
    broadband connection. That leads me to think that it is a XP issue.

    Adit

    > The problem isn't isolated to Norton antivirus, I was using it as an
    > example.
    > There are a couple of other programs that also dial out instead of using
    > the
    > broadband connection. That leads me to think that it is a XP issue.
    >
    > Adit
    >
    > "Admiral Q" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you check the "Symantec web site"? How about "Symantec's 'help &
    >> support'" for configuring "autoupdates"? How about "How Live Update
    >> accesses the internet" in the "Live Update Applet" in control panel? By
    >> default Norton's "Live Update" uses IE's default connection - so
    >> somewhere
    >> along the line, you've had to have changed it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    >>

    >> "Adit Shah" <aditshah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have 2 machines connected to a router and then to cable modem. On my
    >> > laptop, the setup seems to work well with almost all software
    >> > applications
    >> > but there are some applications that use the dial up connection to
    >> > access
    >> the
    >> > internet instead of the available broadband connection. An example is
    >> Norton
    >> > Antivirus 2004. When it runs Live Update, it uses a dial up connection
    >> > instead of the wireless broadband connection. Is there a setting that I
    >> can
    >> > change so that this doesn't happen anymore? Thanks.

    Hi Adit,

    You might wanna change the internet options on this. Go into your internet
    explorer, click tools, options. Here click the Connections tab and change
    the settings to "Never dial a connection".

    This should work for everything internet based, except Outlook. Outlook has
    it's own settings for this.

    I hope this helped,

    Cheers,

    Robert

Configuration Broadband Dial Up Connection Software Windows XP