Does memory remapping degrade performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
good day fellow geeks, I have a question for you all: does memory remapping degrade performance?

I'd like to use xp64 and have access to all 4 gigs but not if it will cost me heavily in performance. I saw another thread here where someone said it does cause quite a hit, but I'd like a second opinion (and perhaps an explanation). thanks in advance.

my specs:

Q9650
4 gig ddr 667 (2x2gb)
asrock g41m-gs
caviar black 500gb x2
gts 250 1gb
various sound cards/recording interfaces

:sol:

Solution
I've never seen or heard of any performance issues caused by enabling memory remapping. You may however take a slight hit going from 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system as all memory address (pointers) are now twice as big.

The extra memory available to the OS is worth the slight performance hit, especially if you work with a lot of large video or graphic files.
I've never seen or heard of any performance issues caused by enabling memory remapping. You may however take a slight hit going from 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system as all memory address (pointers) are now twice as big.

The extra memory available to the OS is worth the slight performance hit, especially if you work with a lot of large video or graphic files.

Solution

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
ok, so I decided to do some benchmarks with and without memory remapping, here are the results:

everest memory benchmark (MR disabled):

read: 6607
write: 7099
copy: 7056
latency: 75.7

3dmark06 SM2.0 GPU score (MR disabled): 6318

everest memory benchmark (MR enabled):

read: 6441
write: 7098
copy: 6985
latency: 78.7

3dmark06 SM2.0 GPU score (MR enabled): 6300

as you can see, lower scores across the board with memory remapping enabled. bummer. I found a few others that ran some tests and had similar results:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253941-30-need-memory-remap-asus-deluxe

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345200

so, I guess it's safe to say memory remapping does in fact cause a performance hit, however it is slight in most cases. I wonder if HDD cashing performance is also effected? I hope this helps anyone who may have been wondering the same thing.

:pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.