Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking, Inc., Resolved Intel Hardware Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking, Inc., has announced a hardware solution for all of those plagued by the Intel P67 motherboards' SATA II bug. News of Intel's intended massive recall of approximately 8 million motherboards spread at the end of January, and on February 1, 2011, LNO made their announcement public.

(and from the "Read More..." button)

Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking made an announcement on February 1, 2011, that it has resolved the hardware bug plaguing the Intel P67 motherboards identified as having SATA II problems. For $250 it can fix any motherboard, provided that the customer pays for shipping their system to one of their authorized locations. All motherboards would then be guaranteed by a one year warranty, free from any SATA II defects as described by the Intel annoucements.

In order to qualify for the hardware fix, you must send your computer to an Authorized Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking Partner Participation Center.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Millions of boards are in the process of being sent back to Intel, and Sandy Bridge systems will soon disappear. They came up with a hardware SOLUTION, not just plugging SATA devices of one kind into a port of a different kind.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Well Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking is still selling Sandy Bridge systems with their hardware solution in place. I don't think you can even get Sandy Bridge systems anywhere else now.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

For those who want their boards fixed NOW and not MONTHS FROM NOW.

And it looks like it is $175, which includes return shipping (which is probably from $60 to $80 depending on the size of your system and the shipping container).

Some people might need all of their SATA II ports, and this is apparently the only solution for them.

Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking is the only company still selling Sandy Bridge systems right now, and their 5.0 GHz computers are the fastest you can get anywhere.

I don't want to be the one to get you banned from Tom's but enough! :fou:

I get Google pointing!

Go sell your Snake Oil somewhere else! - Go Away!!! :hello:

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

You didn't say what size Snake Oil bottle you wanted.

Can I interest you in a medium?

:)

mavroxur

Distinguished

You know they're actually not repairing the problem, right? It's a work-around. The only "repair" would be to replace the P67 chipset with a revised one that doesn't have the problem. This company isn't reworking motherboards and replacing chipsets, i'm sure of that. You want to know why? Because Intel hasn't shipped any revised chips yet! So how could they be replacing bad P67's if the good ones havent shipped yet? All they're doing is either A) undervolting the PCH or B) providing better cooling for the PCH. It's a crutch at best. The problem is internal to the PCH and can be mitigated with either of those two methods. The only way to *fix* it would be to replace it.

Intel estimated 5% to 15% failure rate over three years, right?

So: Send me your motherboard and $175. I will send it back to you. If the SATA ports fail within 1 year, I will honor my guarantee and refund your money.

Notice that I didn't do anything with the board, but I would still make money on this scheme.

Please note that I have very carefully not suggested that LNO is working on this business model, just floating an idea.

It's "For $250 it can fix any motherboard" ; for that I'll send you a brand new one -- collect $250 for putting it in the mail to ASUS/GA/MSI/Etc. Plus as an added 'Bonus' extend your warranty, and only charge you a mere $75 during the warranty period for a 'handling fee' ;)

BTW - I'm backlogged until March/April so HURRY UP!!!

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

I emailed them and asked them to elaborate on their hardware solution.

The are installing a board with ports for you to plug your SATA II devices into.

Maybe instead of hurling generalizations at a company that is obviously working to solve a problem, you could have done the same thing and gotten to the truth of the matter.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

It's $175, not $250.

At least $60 of that has to be for the return shipping, which they agree to cover.

That puts the cost at $115.

The board must cost money to build.

Someone has to install it, someone that actually gets paid. Therefore, they need to cover this cost.

That must take time, and they must have already spent considerable money on it.

I would guess their profit margin is pretty lean on this one, wouldn't you?

So why throw stones at someone who is helping the Sandy Bridge customers?

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

They'll be paying something like $20 or less for the board, so their profit margin will be more like 400%-500%. Not very low at all, actually more like very high.

BTW, I hope you have their permission to use their photo as your avatar.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

So their custom-made hardware board cost them $0?

Wow, you really are a genius.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Where do you get $0? I never said that. And custom made? That is the biggest and stupidest joke of the century. It would be a standard board that anyone can buy, and the cheapest one available at that. Anyone who thinks it is a custom made board must have loose rocks in their head.

randomizer

Champion
Your advertising is not appreciated. I suggest you cease if you want to keep posting on this forum. Also I hate to break it to you but every one of your links are No-Follow, so filling every thread you post in with links is not going to provide you with any notable backlinking benefits.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Why don't you tell us how you computed your "profit margin" calculation. Starting with the $175 fee mentioned.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I posted an announcement, no different than any other announcement that has been made regarding a product recall.

A company has a hardware solution in place for those who need access to all of their ports, NOW, not months from now.

A solution is a solution is a solution.

If you want a component-level hardware repair done for free, wait for the Intel fix.

Of course, by then, the Ivy Bridge will be just about coming out, and you will be able to overclock them to 5.8 or 5.9 GHz on air.

mavroxur

Distinguished

And the company you're pushing apparently doesn't even do a hardware fix, they just give you a PCI-e SATA controller for $175, according to your earlier post. If they modded the board in any way, shape, or form it would be half-way acceptable (not really, it's still a ripoff), but sending you a board back with some cheap-o pcie to sata board is rubbish.

randomizer

Champion

Then you better get an idea of what I'm talking about. Posting announcements does not require 2-3 links to your website in the same post. I've checked your post history and a large percentage point to that site. It's advertising and it's not acceptable. You can throw excuses around all you want but that doesn't change anything.

solidliquid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Well, it looks like even Intel is going with this recommendation now -- using a PCI to supplement their defective motherboard.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20030936-1.html

So send me a bcc of your email to Intel, telling them that it is rubbish. Will you do that for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.