feelrealgood

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hey all, I just built a workstation and put it together yesterday and started installing OS/updates today. I'm running windows 7x64 bit. I started noticing as I typed it would frequently delay, sometimes allowing me to write 3-5 words before showing up on the screen. Scrolling with the mouse also became and issue. I switched out for a wired keyboard/mouse but problem persists.

I notice when watching videos the audio and video will stutter. After pulling up task manager I notice my CPU is spiking from 0% to 40% idling. When actually working it jumps up to 80% per second and back to 0%. I downloaded a gadget to monitor my CPU usage. The first core seems to be active at all times jumping up and down to about 90%! The rest of the cores only come into play when using applications (and not much at all).

I'm using a dual processor system 2x Intel Xeon E5506, 24gb of RAM, and a Nvidia Quadro 3800. A pretty hefty machine for such problems. Most search results with similar problems people point to spyware. While it might be a possibility (I didn't have Virus protection for a few hours), but I mostly just used the net to update drivers. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

feelrealgood

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
No, this is a completely new HDD. Again, I've just loaded AVG today and was only unprotected while updating drivers. No internet surfing was done, but I am still doing a virus scan right now. Though, I did notice this issue before installing the antivirus software.

According to task manager nothing is really active under processes. When I look under "System Monitor" though, it shows "System Interrupts" running 5-10 cpus.

EDIT: Spybot found 3 malicious cookies, but nothing serious. Deleted. AVG turned up nothing. Problem persists.

feelrealgood

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hey, thanks for your replies. After doing some research into "System Interrupts" I ran into this thread:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140263-how-to-get-the-cause-of-high-cpu-usage-by-dpc-interrupt/

Basically, it monitored my CPU usage and told me what was requesting all that info. Turns out one of my LAN drivers wasn't installed properly. The internet was working fine so I didn't seem to notice. Hopefully this helps if anyone comes a googling ;)

Thanks again for your input!

P.S. Is there anyway I can mark this as solved or an admin can do it for me? Thanks :)