metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hi all, could someone please point me in the direction of a CPU upgrading guide or video for beginners that you would recommend. Thanks heaps

Solution

I don't beleive Tom's has an actual guide on installing a CPU, but its really not all that diffcult.

■1st Make sure the bios on the motherboard has the latest bios before uninstalling the CPU.
■2nd Remove heat sink and CPU clean all olpd thermal compound off the heat sink before reinstalling it.
■3rd Install CPU make sure you use thermal compound and as long as the new CPU is supported by the motherboard you should be good to go.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Read the directions that come with it.

there is no software bios stuff you need to do unless you have an older board and a newer cpu. In that case you simply update the bios with the old cpu before you install the new cpu.

Seriously though, you've heard of Google?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+install+a+cpu

thanks for your sarcasm really helpful...yes i had goggled it but was looking for a toms guide and yes i'm replacing an old athlon 64... socket 939 with an X2

I don't beleive Tom's has an actual guide on installing a CPU, but its really not all that diffcult.

■1st Make sure the bios on the motherboard has the latest bios before uninstalling the CPU.
■2nd Remove heat sink and CPU clean all olpd thermal compound off the heat sink before reinstalling it.
■3rd Install CPU make sure you use thermal compound and as long as the new CPU is supported by the motherboard you should be good to go.

Solution