GTX 480 card 'availability'

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
So yeah, pre-ordered a 480 on march 26th at Scan (UK equivalent to Newegg but better) and was told April 12th is the big day. Came to April 12th, rang them to see if my order was available to collect and the answer was 'No the suppliers are yet to put them in transit, we have no idea when they're coming in'.

I was shocked, appauled both at Scan for not securing the cards beforehand to sate the masses that had pre-ordered on the day and at the Suppliers for not getting their act together.

But anyway the best anyone in this situation could do is just wait, and its now April 15th and still no word. Not even Overclockers have cards yet so it seems all retailers are in the same boat with suppliers.

Rant over, but perhaps theres something to discuss here, my next card is going to be ATI.

notty22

Distinguished
Well only Americans can get the Ipad :) as well for another month ? Hardly any consolation I know, hang in there !

I wonder where Fermi was actually built, Taiwan, I imagine ? Anyone else ?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The chips most likely do.

So have America actually got the cards then? Also, who the hell would want the IPad, the british are generally intelligent enough to know a duff product when they see one.

Same problem HD5XXX series had when they first launch.

First comes the debut at MSRP.
Then comes the ebaying @ $150 over MSRP
Then comes more stock @ $20 over MSRP.
Then more @ $30 over MSRP.
Then more until it leads up to $50 over MSRP.

Since ATI's debut is over with, their cards might finally fall down to their MSRP. If it's ATI's MSRP vs nVidia's post-launch price, then there's no way I can recommend a fermi card. An HD5870 would cost the same as a GTX470, and the 480 would be the same or within $50 of an HD5970.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well the prices can't really be avoided thats just economic, but i find it a bit silly how Nvidia say April 12th, yet no'one has had them by April 12th, at least in England anyway.

funkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Im English, but live in Vermont USA. We have the same issue here. Suppliers just dont have any. I have been waiting for the EVGA version since the 12th "Release date" and they are still out of stock. Last night 10pm EST the MSI version was available, for approx 3mins, before the available units were sold out again. I have a $3000 order which is delayed now because of the availability of this card, I cantr begin to describe the frustration.. but trust me mate, its not just UK thats having the problem.. Yankee Doodle land has the same issue.

in my country both cards already available on the shelves for a few days and some people who already get their own already posting their experience on local forum. the price also starts to drop

i'm not sure about that. but nvidia is known for their brute force. just look at 480. it doesn't matter if its hot and power hog. what's important is the card is faster enough to get the single performance crown. maybe they still can make dual GPU card but it doesn't have to based on GTX480 spec

It can't be based off of the 470 because it's too power-hungry, and I'm pretty sure nVidia doesn't want to lose OEM support.

It all depends on the 460. If it's based off of Fermi, it'll still be power-hungry, and a dual GTX460 won't beat an HD5970.

Moving to a new process isn't exactly NVIDIA's strong suite, which is what landed them in this mess in the first place. NVIDIA needs to design their chip to deal with the short comings of TSMCs 40nm process like ATI did. Even if they eliminated two of the shader clusters they could raise the clocks to compensate and deliver a part on par with the GTX 480 that has much higher yields and that they can actually afford to make. Of course, nVidia would have to be tapping out, or at least close to tapping out, such a chip to have it out by the end of the year. We'll see if they put what they learned to use on the GF104, or if it will just be more delays.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
All i know is, the retailer my pre-order is with hasn't so much has heard a sniff from vendors or NVidia in terms of when the cards are getting to them, and they're a big retailer and premium partner with NV. I'm really sick of NV's BS, they've been so arrogant with Fermi its unbelievable. Still, its a DX-11 card and it's technically the fastest single GPU in the world until the 5890 most likely.