Just making sure about the SB problem...

vectorprime

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
It is true that on say, the P8P67, which has 4x6.0gps ports (2 marvell and 2 intel), it is 100% safe to plug drives into those 4 6.0 ports as the degrading problem is only located on the 3.0 ports right? That includes both the Marvell controller and the Intel controller?

I just want to make sure that it will be fine to run my PC like this until the recalls start.

The problem only affects the Intel SATA2 Ports, the Marvell is a separate controller and is not affected by the problem(s).

The problem takes a while to manifest itself, and if I owned a P67/H67 MOBO then I would feel safe moving my SATA2/SATA3 HDD/SSD/HHD to the backwards compatible Marvell controller.

Hope that eases your mind. Yes, I would RMA your MOBO sometime after the replacements are ready sometime in March~April.

Of the two Marvel 6 GB SATA ports available on the chipset, only one is available for a boot device. A third party SATA controller would solve any problem with number of usable problem free SATA connectors until a replacement can be had.