Swivel LCD, on which cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.

Which other cameras have that feature?

--
- Eolake
--

Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> writes:

> I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
> Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.
>
> Which other cameras have that feature?

Canon G series point and shoots have had tis all the way back to the
G2. G5 I think is the current?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

That's probably one of the most useful features on the non-slr cameras.
Also, the fully articulated LCD panels allow you to shoot from waist level
when the camera is in "portait" orientation, something that the swing only
LCD panels won't allow. Quite a few cameras have this feature, the Canon G6
and the Pro1, the Nikon 8800 and 8400, the new Konica/Minolta A200. I'm
sure there are others...
cheers....MTB

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
> Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.
>
> Which other cameras have that feature?

Canon S1IS is one that does.

OGMarcel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002

Todd,

In fact I had the G1 and it also had the swivel LCD
Marcel

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
> Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.
>
> Which other cameras have that feature?

Many cameras have a swivel LCD like the A95, but far fewer have the swivel
body of the Nikon 4500. Sites like dpreview.com will help you choose.

Depending on your picture-taking situation, the Nikon's unique body swivel
may allow you to take some pictures that would otherwise require a tripod,
as you can set the camera body on a flat surface (table, desk or wall),
and adjust the lens to your desired taking angle. Use the self-timer, and
get sharp pictures even with several seconds exposure. We have the Nikon
Coolpix 990 which has the same body arrangement, and it has been most
handy over the years. It's something you really need to use to
appreciate!

Cheers,
David

hunt

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

In article <31u9vkF3g84osU1@individual.net>, david-taylor@invalid.com says...

>Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
>> I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
>> Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.
>>
>> Which other cameras have that feature?
>
>Many cameras have a swivel LCD like the A95, but far fewer have the swivel
>body of the Nikon 4500. Sites like dpreview.com will help you choose.
>
>Depending on your picture-taking situation, the Nikon's unique body swivel
>may allow you to take some pictures that would otherwise require a tripod,
>as you can set the camera body on a flat surface (table, desk or wall),
>and adjust the lens to your desired taking angle. Use the self-timer, and
>get sharp pictures even with several seconds exposure. We have the Nikon
>Coolpix 990 which has the same body arrangement, and it has been most
>handy over the years. It's something you really need to use to
>appreciate!
>
>Cheers,
>David

Yes it is. I was leary at first, thinking that it was more a gimmick, but
after using it to view, when my Nikon 5700 was flat on the deck, or held high
overhead, I came to appreciate it. It was also nice to let a client see what
you were about to shoot, without them having to get down to viewfinder level.
I actually miss this feature on my D-70. So far, I have not broken it off of
the 5700, but do worry about its structure - just be very careful!!!!

Hunt

In article <31u9vkF3g84osU1@individual.net>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> > I like camera with swivel LCDs for flexible shooting positions, like
> > Nikon coolpix 4500 or the new Canon A95.
> >
> > Which other cameras have that feature?
>
> Many cameras have a swivel LCD like the A95, but far fewer have the swivel
> body of the Nikon 4500. Sites like dpreview.com will help you choose.

Thanks, but how do I find them amongst the hundreds of cameras
reviewed?
Which can you mention?

The thing is I like to do street photography, but I am very tall, and I
don't like my images to look down on people. Also, having a camera in
front of your face is very confrontational to some people. So I am
looking for cameras which I can hold by my belly.

--
- Eolake
--

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
[]
> Which can you mention?
>
> The thing is I like to do street photography, but I am very tall, and
> I don't like my images to look down on people. Also, having a camera
> in front of your face is very confrontational to some people. So I am
> looking for cameras which I can hold by my belly.

For street photographs you may want a a wide-angle system. The Nikon 8400
offers 24mm wide-angle and it is unique in having such a wide-angle lens.
It also has a swivel LCD which you could use at waist level.

Doubtless others will alos mention their preferred cameras, but for
stealth the Nikon 4500 (or the older 990 or 995) takes a lot of beating.

Cheers,
David

David....I'm sure you must have compared the 8400 to the 8800. Was the 24mm
wideangle lens the deciding factor for you?
thanks...MTB

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> []
> > Which can you mention?
> >
> > The thing is I like to do street photography, but I am very tall, and
> > I don't like my images to look down on people. Also, having a camera
> > in front of your face is very confrontational to some people. So I am
> > looking for cameras which I can hold by my belly.
>
> For street photographs you may want a a wide-angle system. The Nikon 8400
> offers 24mm wide-angle and it is unique in having such a wide-angle lens.
> It also has a swivel LCD which you could use at waist level.
>
> Doubtless others will alos mention their preferred cameras, but for
> stealth the Nikon 4500 (or the older 990 or 995) takes a lot of beating.
>
> Cheers,
> David

graham

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:24 -0000, David J Taylor,
<news:31ucf4F3d9t1mU1@individual.net> wrote this:

> Doubtless others will alos mention their preferred cameras, but for
> stealth the Nikon 4500 (or the older 990 or 995) takes a lot of beating.

I had a 995 until I bought a D100, then I passed the 995 on to my
daughter. Oh, how I miss the swivel.

Thanks, David and Todd. Both the G6 and the Nikon 8400 look very
interesting indeed. (Dang, so many great cameras these days.) I did not
know about the swivel, and the wide-angle, respectively.

--
- Eolake
--

In article <LpWdnVaN54vBlCfcRVn-pw@rogers.com>, MTBike1970
<NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> That's probably one of the most useful features on the non-slr cameras.
> Also, the fully articulated LCD panels allow you to shoot from waist level
> when the camera is in "portait" orientation, something that the swing only
> LCD panels won't allow.

Ooh, good point.

> Quite a few cameras have this feature, the Canon G6
> and the Pro1, the Nikon 8800 and 8400, the new Konica/Minolta A200.

Ah, that one too... so many cameras, so little time.
Thanks.

--
- Eolake
--

MTBike1970 wrote:
> David....I'm sure you must have compared the 8400 to the 8800. Was
> the 24mm wideangle lens the deciding factor for you?
> thanks...MTB

Yes. I looked at the photos I'd taken recently with the Nikon 5700 and
found many were taken at the widest zoom (35mm). I missed the 24mm add-on
lens for the Nikon 990 I used to use.
My wife bought the Panasonic FZ20 which we both thought was a better
balanced camera (bigger aperture f/2.8 lens compared to f/5.2 for the 8800
at maximum zoom) and considerably cheaper. However, it is "only" 5MP, and
doesn't have the swivel LCD. Of course, she still has her swivel-bodied
Nikon 990 for that - no resale value!

David

I had a look at the FZ20 as well. I liked the lens and the anti-shake
feature, but the lack of an articulated LCD and the "only" 5MP sensor were
the deal-breakers for me. I'm not sure how they managed the constant F2.8
aperature and still keep the lens size manageable??
I'm going to wait for the KM A200 to arrive so I can compare it to the
Nikons. The 28-200 mm lens sounds like a nice compromise compared to the
8800/8400. I sure hope they got the focus problems fixed...

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, MTBike1970 <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>David....I'm sure you must have compared the 8400 to the 8800. Was the 24mm
>wideangle lens the deciding factor for you?

The 24mm wideangle is why I bought my 8400. With my 950 I had the wide
angle adapter on most of the time. Only put the telephoto adapter on once,
to check it out. So for me it wasn't 8400 vs 8800, but 8400 vs everything
else. And I'm going to like not having to take the adapter on and off.

Now my 950 was five years old. So it was time for an upgrade.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

MTBike1970 wrote:
> I had a look at the FZ20 as well. I liked the lens and the anti-shake
> feature, but the lack of an articulated LCD and the "only" 5MP sensor
> were the deal-breakers for me. I'm not sure how they managed the
> constant F2.8 aperature and still keep the lens size manageable??
[]

Be aware that the quality of the images from some 5MP sensors (e.g. Nikon
5700) equals the quality of images from some 8MP sensors (e.g. Minolta
A2). Simply rejecting a camera because it doesn't have quite the number
of pixels you imagine you need may not be the best choice. Also remember
the greater storage requirements of the 8MP cameras. Be aware that the
Minolta A2 doesn't have a full swivel LCD either...

Cheers,
David

> > "Graham" <fensman@gmx.invalid> wrote
> David J Taylor wrote this:

> > Doubtless others will alos mention their preferred cameras, but for
> > stealth the Nikon 4500 (or the older 990 or 995) takes a lot of beating.

> I had a 995 until I bought a D100, then I passed the 995 on to my
> daughter. Oh, how I miss the swivel.

I love my 995, it has been a really good tool for street photography, for
all the reasons already mentioned. I just wonder why the idea was
discontinued after the 4500? Sure there are cameras with swivel screens, and
another Coolpix (2500?) that has a similar lens assembly but which is not
able to be used at 90°. But the idea of a completely 'split' camera, while
radical, is brilliant. I dream of an updated 995, with many more Mpixels...

Paul

In article <31ucf4F3d9t1mU1@individual.net>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> > The thing is I like to do street photography, but I am very tall, and
> > I don't like my images to look down on people. Also, having a camera
> > in front of your face is very confrontational to some people. So I am
> > looking for cameras which I can hold by my belly.
>
> For street photographs you may want a a wide-angle system. The Nikon 8400
> offers 24mm wide-angle and it is unique in having such a wide-angle lens.

Thanks, David, for mentioning this one. I have long wished for
something like it.
I was up til way into the wee hours last night researching all these
cameras, and I wound up ordering my Nikon 8400. I am very excited about
getting back in street photography.

--
- Eolake
--

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
[]
> Thanks, David, for mentioning this one. I have long wished for
> something like it.
> I was up til way into the wee hours last night researching all these
> cameras, and I wound up ordering my Nikon 8400. I am very excited
> about getting back in street photography.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - please report back on how it alters your
viewpoint!

Cheers,
David

In article <322epdF3g962rU1@individual.net>, David J Taylor
> > I was up til way into the wee hours last night researching all these
> > cameras, and I wound up ordering my Nikon 8400. I am very excited
> > about getting back in street photography.
>
> I'm sure you'll enjoy it - please report back on how it alters your
> viewpoint!

It should change it from my head to my midsection.

.... Wait a minute, that's were it is often anyway...

--
- Eolake