Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking the appropriate CPU

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2010 8:42:42 AM

I'm < 2 weeks away from ordering parts for my new build. I decided to do a new build because I'm about to undertake a fairly large software / hardware design project that really needs it's own dedicated machine for all the HDL coding that will be required. My current machine will become that dedicated machine and this new build will be my everyday machine. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer but still like to know I have the ability to play that latest game out there if I wanted to. I guess you could say I have a Tim Taylor "More Power" conflict.

I'm interested in trying to future-proof as much as I can as I try to stretch out a build for as long as possible. My biggest decision left to make is whether to go for an AMD 955 or the 2.8 GHz 6-Core. I jump sides of the fence everyday. Do I go with a higher clock speed or more cores? I've read that the new six-cores are not exactly ideal for gaming and I do not do any form of video encoding.

I'm pretty set on ordering a Radeon 5850. Which CPU and MoBo would be ideal to pair with this card?

Thanks
-Justin

More about : picking cpu

May 16, 2010 8:59:02 AM

I think you should first fill out the build advice form in my signature so we can best be able to help you.
m
l
May 17, 2010 7:58:49 PM

^I know... Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any mention of FSX in the posts above?
m
l
!