Still trying to decide A95 vs E550

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 10, 2004 9:49:54 PM

This will be our first digital camera purchase.

I'm looking for a camera that I can give to my wife and have her get
great results in the fully automatic mode. She isn't going to be
fiddling with it and will just point and shoot.

I'm also looking for something that I can fiddle with and come up with
even better results for the occasional blow up and mount on the wall
photos.

I tend to lean towards the A95 only because it uses 4-AA batteries,
compact flash, the fold out screen, very popular, and gets pretty good
reviews.

The E550 is 6mp, 2-AA, xD, and seems to get pretty good reviews as
well

Which of these 2 cameras will produce the best results and meet the
needs for both my wife and I? We'll eventually be getting a more
versitile camera at which time this will become her's.

Decission is daunting!!!!

More about : decide a95 e550

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:49:55 PM

Norm wrote:
> This will be our first digital camera purchase.
>
> I'm looking for a camera that I can give to my wife and have her get
> great results in the fully automatic mode. She isn't going to be
> fiddling with it and will just point and shoot.

A95

> I'm also looking for something that I can fiddle with and come up
with
> even better results for the occasional blow up and mount on the wall
> photos.

E550

> I tend to lean towards the A95 only because it uses 4-AA batteries,
> compact flash, the fold out screen, very popular, and gets pretty
good
> reviews.
>
> The E550 is 6mp, 2-AA, xD, and seems to get pretty good reviews as
> well

It's effectively more than 6; at least 7.

> Which of these 2 cameras will produce the best results and meet the
> needs for both my wife and I? We'll eventually be getting a more
> versitile camera at which time this will become her's.
>
> Decission is daunting!!!!

Find me a review that compares between the comparably-priced E550 and
the Canon A95; It should be telling that when it comes to image quality
most of the reviews compare the E550 against the twice-as-expensive
Canon G6.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:49:55 PM

Norm wrote:
> I agree, the E550 gets better rating on image quality but in the AUTO
> mode, how does it compare? My wife won't be messing with the
settings
> much. If it requires special attention to settings in order to get
> better quality than the A95 (in auto mode) then it may not be a good
> choice.

In AUTO mode the E550 will still take great pictures with no special
attention needed by your wife that **you** can later fiddle with if you
want, though in many if not most cases you won't need to. Only issue is
that the E550 deliberately exposes for highlights, which is an
excellent feature if you understand its significance; all you'll need
is to get the free GIMP and adjust levels to move midtones, which is a
fairly easy thing to do.

> Both of us are fairly new to photography, so we're not sure which
> features are going to be important. Since the A95 has the flip out
> LCD, is that feature going to be enough to make the A95 a better all
> round camera?

You won't be new to photography forever. The E550 will take better
images that you can "fiddle" with a year or two later if need be, but
you can't go back to the original moment then a year or two ago to
reshoot it.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a95
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_e550_zoom

I'm not a big fan of the folding out screen. You'll probably know on
your third camera what's really useful. I personally don't find myself
in many situations where I would want to use the folding out screen. In
fact, I tend to dislike it because I have the impression that unfolding
it from the protected position and then refolding it may be a little
tedious. I tend to prefer cameras that have a thick layer of
scratch-resistant acrylic on their screen. I don't know if the e550 has
it but my f810 has that protective acrylic. From looking at the picture
of the a95 the screen doesn't seem to be
http://www.pbase.com/image/32952330.

> Sorry, I realize its all personal preference, but I'm having trouble
> here because I don't have much experiance.....
>

> On 10 Dec 2004 11:35:54 -0800, "Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Norm wrote:
> >> This will be our first digital camera purchase.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a camera that I can give to my wife and have her
get
> >> great results in the fully automatic mode. She isn't going to be
> >> fiddling with it and will just point and shoot.
> >
> >A95
> >

> >> I'm also looking for something that I can fiddle with and come up
> >with
> >> even better results for the occasional blow up and mount on the
wall
> >> photos.
> >>

> >E550
> >
> >> I tend to lean towards the A95 only because it uses 4-AA
batteries,
> >> compact flash, the fold out screen, very popular, and gets pretty
> >good
> >> reviews.
> >>
> >> The E550 is 6mp, 2-AA, xD, and seems to get pretty good reviews as
> >> well
> >>

> >It's effectively more than 6; at least 7.
> >
> >> Which of these 2 cameras will produce the best results and meet
the
> >> needs for both my wife and I? We'll eventually be getting a more
> >> versitile camera at which time this will become her's.
> >>
> >> Decission is daunting!!!!
> >
> >Find me a review that compares between the comparably-priced E550
and
> >the Canon A95; It should be telling that when it comes to image
quality
> >most of the reviews compare the E550 against the twice-as-expensive
> >Canon G6.

Related resources
December 10, 2004 11:49:16 PM

wrote:

>Norm wrote:
>> This will be our first digital camera purchase.
>>
>> I'm looking for a camera that I can give to my wife and have her get
>> great results in the fully automatic mode. She isn't going to be
>> fiddling with it and will just point and shoot.
>
>A95
>

>> I'm also looking for something that I can fiddle with and come up
>with
>> even better results for the occasional blow up and mount on the wall
>> photos.
>>

>E550
>
>> I tend to lean towards the A95 only because it uses 4-AA batteries,
>> compact flash, the fold out screen, very popular, and gets pretty
>good
>> reviews.
>>
>> The E550 is 6mp, 2-AA, xD, and seems to get pretty good reviews as
>> well
>>

>It's effectively more than 6; at least 7.
>
>> Which of these 2 cameras will produce the best results and meet the
>> needs for both my wife and I? We'll eventually be getting a more
>> versitile camera at which time this will become her's.
>>
>> Decission is daunting!!!!
>
>Find me a review that compares between the comparably-priced E550 and
>the Canon A95; It should be telling that when it comes to image quality
>most of the reviews compare the E550 against the twice-as-expensive
>Canon G6.

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:49:17 PM

My 70 year old mother loves her A75 if that says anything about its
ease of use.

Additionally, I (photo tech geek) frequently borrow it quite happily
to shoot when we're together, shooting close snaps or available light,
and I don't feel like changing to the shorter lens on my Digital
Rebel.

As such, I can't imagine you can go wrong with the A95.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Thanks for the feedback on the E550. I've been leaning towards this
camera for over a week now. I'm in Alaska and other than ordering
online its hard to come across one in a store to hold in your hand.
But - today I was in Costco and they have the E550 for $349 and with a
$50 rebate it comes to $299. And that's local without any shipping
and if there are problems, I can take it back to the store.

Unless someone talks me out of it, I'm going back over this evening
and picking one up!

On 10 Dec 2004 15:32:08 -0800, "Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Norm wrote:
>> I agree, the E550 gets better rating on image quality but in the AUTO
>> mode, how does it compare? My wife won't be messing with the
>settings
>> much. If it requires special attention to settings in order to get
>> better quality than the A95 (in auto mode) then it may not be a good
>> choice.
>
>In AUTO mode the E550 will still take great pictures with no special
>attention needed by your wife that **you** can later fiddle with if you
>want, though in many if not most cases you won't need to. Only issue is
>that the E550 deliberately exposes for highlights, which is an
>excellent feature if you understand its significance; all you'll need
>is to get the free GIMP and adjust levels to move midtones, which is a
>fairly easy thing to do.
>

>> Both of us are fairly new to photography, so we're not sure which
>> features are going to be important. Since the A95 has the flip out
>> LCD, is that feature going to be enough to make the A95 a better all
>> round camera?
>>

>You won't be new to photography forever. The E550 will take better
>images that you can "fiddle" with a year or two later if need be, but
>you can't go back to the original moment then a year or two ago to
>reshoot it.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a95
>http://www.pbase.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_e550_zoom
>
>I'm not a big fan of the folding out screen. You'll probably know on
>your third camera what's really useful. I personally don't find myself
>in many situations where I would want to use the folding out screen. In
>fact, I tend to dislike it because I have the impression that unfolding
>it from the protected position and then refolding it may be a little
>tedious. I tend to prefer cameras that have a thick layer of
>scratch-resistant acrylic on their screen. I don't know if the e550 has
>it but my f810 has that protective acrylic. From looking at the picture
>of the a95 the screen doesn't seem to be
>http://www.pbase.com/image/32952330.
>
>> Sorry, I realize its all personal preference, but I'm having trouble
>> here because I don't have much experiance.....
>>

>> On 10 Dec 2004 11:35:54 -0800, "Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>get
>> >
>> >A95

>> >with
>wall
>> >>

>> >E550

>batteries,
>> >good

>> >It's effectively more than 6; at least 7.

>the

>> >Find me a review that compares between the comparably-priced E550
>and
>> >the Canon A95; It should be telling that when it comes to image
>quality
>> >most of the reviews compare the E550 against the twice-as-expensive
>> >Canon G6.

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:22:47 AM

Norm wrote:
> [...]
myself
> >in many situations where I would want to use the folding out screen.
In
> >fact, I tend to dislike it because I have the impression that
unfolding
> >it from the protected position and then refolding it may be a little
> >tedious. I tend to prefer cameras that have a thick layer of
> >scratch-resistant acrylic on their screen. I don't know if the e550
has
> >it but my f810 has that protective acrylic. From looking at the
picture
> >of the a95 the screen doesn't seem to be
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/32952330.
> >
> >> Sorry, I realize its all personal preference, but I'm having
trouble
> >> here because I don't have much experiance.....
> >>

> >> On 10 Dec 2004 11:35:54 -0800, "Mike Henley"

Don't know if it's important to you but E550 is much faster(in decent
lighting, anyways).

This was the deal maker for me - I am taking pictures of 2 1/2 yr olds
and they aren't going to stay in the same spot for long. I have
previously bought and returned Minolta Z1 (and it was pretty fast !),
Kodak 5440, and some other cameras that all had good quality pics but
took too long to shoot.

E550 is the first camera that's fast enough for me. I didn't try A95
but read that it is nowhere that fast.

Quality wise it's not as good as my SLR (but good enough for 8x10) but
I cut the "rejects" by 70% because I can see exactly what I get. Also
it's hard to beat having electronic backup of all pics.
!