shanky666

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
can anyone let me know the differences between p67 and h67 mobos?
p67 has some extra features but does it really matter becoz i mostly play latest games..

any thoughts?

P67 is for serious games, H67 for peeps who don't need a gfx card

http://goarticles.com/article/P67-Versus-H67-Motherboard-Chipsets/4082334/

P67:

A P67 motherboard is deigned to allow overclocking on your Sandy Bridge CPU, which is great for anyone wanting a build for gaming, or a workstation since you can push the CPU further, or extend your CPUs lifespan by keeping up with more demanding applications. The Sandy Bridge CPUs however have integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000, and the P67 motherboard chipset does not allow access to its integrated graphics. This should be no problem for anyone who wants to game, since it is probably smarter to purchase a better discrete graphics card.

H67:

An H67 motherboard is designed to utilize Sandy Bridges integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 (On Intels i5-2300, i5-2400, i5-2500, i7-2600) and Intel HD Graphics 3000 (On Intels i5-2500K, and i7-2600K). If you purchase an H67 chipset motherboard you can essentially ditch purchasing a discrete graphics card if its not needed, which can save some cash. As well, when an H67 motherboard generally includes a couple of display port options including HDMI and DVI ports which do allow multiple display support.

This grid is pretty straight forward; for gaming the P67 is the better option.

Draft:
Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg

ferretmania

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Jacquith and JackNaylorPE:

Thanks for the very helpful info. Here's a related question. 2 weeks ago I bought the ASUS P8P67 Pro to pair with a Core i5 2400s. Given the Intel bad silicon problem, newegg today graciously agree to a rma / refund for my order.

Although I'm a non-gamer and non-oc'r, I bought the P67 board for 2 reasons (and I may have been misinformed despite a lot of research):

1) power saving features on mobo would augment the cpu's own power saving technology.

2) Since I want a dual head (2 x dvi) card to drive a split desktop setup, I bought a used XFX 4770 for $60 thus negating the need for onboard graphics.

3 questions for you tech gurus, if I may:

1) Now that I have the option of rma'ing the P67 with no re-stocking fee, should I save some money by buying an H67 mobo (in April when they're available) and use that board with my Radeon 4770 card?

2) Does the P67 have any power savings / green advantages over the HJ67?

3) In terms of upgradability over the next 3-4 years, does the P67 have any advantages over the H67?

Thanks in advance for your generous willingness to share knowledge!

[:henry chinaski:9]

ANS:
1. Unless you are gaming the H67 onboard GPU is fine.
2. You have to look at the whole package, and the the discrete GPU would negate any savings on either the P67 vs H67.
3. Both the H67 and P67 can be upgraded: GPU, RAM, CPU.

The problem is a non-K CPU cannot be OC, but if your are doing only 'office' Apps then both the P67/H67 is technically overkill. The HD 4770 offers you the ability to use (2) monitors.

The 'problem' is the SATA2 only, and if you simply move the HDD to a SATA3 port or non-Intel SATA2 port the potential problem is solved.

However, if you want onboard GPU and a K processor then the choice is the Z68. For a more future proof non-gaming look at the Z68 with a K unlocked CPU.

If you only have a single monitor, then get whatever card you want and can afford. Any P67 board will work in this situation, and their x8/x8 SLI/CrossFire will provide good performance no matter which graphics card you choose.

If you are going to run multi-monitor resolutions like 5760x1080 and such, you need to buy one of the specific P67 boards that offer x16/x16 SLI/CrossFire.

firejinx

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hiya Leaps-From-Shadows,

Thanks for your reply to the post - MUCH appreciated!!

I have written to the people whom I am going to purchase this new PC, am awaiting their reply.

Can you suggest a MoBo that you would recommend to get please?

I have one 24" ACER G245HDMI and although I will be a noob to WOW, I was thinking of getting two more monitors 24" for the 3D effect/experience and also for 3D applications and that kinda stuff thats going to be hitting the market sooner than later.

Also, If I'm going to get my ar$e kicked, I wanna make it spectacully done so - LOL

Thanks in advance,

FJ

If you are for sure going to get a multi-monitor setup, I'd suggest the ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution board. It can do x16/x16 SLI/CrossFire, so you won't lose performance when gaming at those big resolutions like 5760x1080.

If you're not going to get the multi-monitor setup, then the ASUS P8P67 Pro board would work nicely. It is by far the most popular P67 board.

Mrcina_66

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Greetings!
Could I ask for your help please?
I would like to buy Intel Core i3 platform for "not so serious" gaming and discrete GPU card Radeon 6770, but I don't have much money to spend on MBO... so could I buy H67 MBO instead of P67 and use discrete card with this board?
Could I turn off it's integrated support for SandyBridge graphic and use my 6770 Radeon on H67 instead of Sandy-graphic?
I have no intention of overclocking either processor... just mid-range gaming...
Thank you!