j_gatz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I just set my rig up yesterday and while handling the stock heat sink I accidentally smudged off what seemed to be an insignificant amount of thermal paste. Right now I'm idle at around 50 and loading at 100. Is this normal or do I have a problem on my hands?

And if I do need to reseat and reapply, the only computer store here that has thermal paste in stock only has generic silicon and silver oxide. Which is better, if either, for an emergency fix (I'll be getting a new heat sink and paste in a couple weeks to overclock)?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Those temps are way to high. You're lucky the cpu hasn't suffered any dammage.

About the paste, get the silver. It's what's mostly used these days. Silicon is the old white paste and isn't used anymore.

When you're buying a new heatsink for oc'ing, make sure to get one that's big enough. I7's run really hot especially if you oc them.
Myself I use the true (see my specs), but it's getting old and sometimes still expensive. The Prolimatech Megahalems is a very nice alternative (if they have it at your shop).

For thermalpaste get some good stuff like arctic silver 5 or the newer artic cooling mx3.

If you have your eye on another cooler, please post

j_gatz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Upon reapplication it seems like it's looking 43 idle 72 load. How is this? Where can I find the heat specifications for my chip?

I'd also like to mention these readings are from HWmonitor. Speed fan is giving me 25/57 yet the CPU fan won't quiet down

j_gatz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Yes I do. I've also used RealTemp and CoreTemp and they give me 43/73 as well. Is this still alright? Are core temps very different form general temps? How can I find out the general temps?

My biggest question is what are the normal temps for a stock i7 930. Thank you very much for your help so far

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

It's not quite sure what the max temp for a core i7 is. I've heard people say 100°C, however I would never let mine get that hot. You should never go above 80.

I use realtemp so your temps are fine. I suppose you're using the stock Intel cooler?
I don't know the real difference between general temp (which you find in the bios but also in HWmonitor) and core temps. Must be a different calibration of temp sensors. For your own you can use both, as both rise as the cpu gets hotter. You just have to know the max safe value for both. Best is to mention core temps though because that's what everbody else does so you can compare.

You're fine. I would say your [reseated/repasted] stock cooler is doing its job.

That seems like average performance for stock. I have the same CPU and motherboard. I talked to an Intel tech about the temperature. He said the max temp is spec'd at 67.9C (what they finally post as the tCase on the Intel site) with up to +7C under heavy load. With an Asetek LCLC 120 installed in a PC I recently bought posted CPU Min and Max temps 2C less than yours. I feel that's pretty lame for something that's supposed to be advanced, enclosed self-contained liquid cooling. I would guess the PC makers like it because it's lightweight and doesn't put any stress on the MB during shipping.

For the science of it, I recently upgraded it to a Corsair H50. I find it amazing there is no article anywhere comparing the performance of the Asetek LCLC 120 to the Corsair H50. Asetek makes them both. Anyhow, that left the Min the same and brought the Max down another 3C - still pretty lame - for a Max of 68C (I use the prime95 heat test for 2 hours for testing / comparison).

When I see the articles benchmarking the H50, they make it sound like it has other-worldly cooling powers. They over-clock the CPU to 4GHz and claim the max temp is 60C or less. I am not paid by "the man" and I can seriously tell you this is not so.

Sorry for the tangent rant. You should be fine though.