Your question

Cpu overheating within minutes??

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Dual Core
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2010 1:20:49 PM

First off hello all i've only just joined to site :) 

Basically this is my problem...

I decided i wanted to switch out the cpu in my pc from a celeron D to a pentium D dual core 930 which i had a while ago.

It is compatible with my mobo and everything but for some reason it gets really really hot within minutes and my computer turns off. I really dont understand why its doing it as my knowledge regarding computers is average at best.

I tried my celeron D again and its fine. But i would like to use the dual core please.

It works perfectly when i leave my room fan pointed at my cpu i can game and everything fine but im sick of having that fan on all the time it sounds like a plane is in my room!

Any help would be fantastic. If you need any more details about my pc just ask.

More about : cpu overheating minutes

a c 133 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 1:29:03 PM

The problem is that the Celeron is a lower powered single core and The Pentium D 930 is a really hot 1 st gen Dual core basically two Pentium 4's glued together. The heatsink for the Celeron D is most likely too small for the higher powered Pentium D. I used to have one of those and they run really hot especially on undersized stock heat sinks. I would suggest getting a cheap after market tower cooler for around $20-$30 should solve your problem.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 1:32:13 PM

the pentium d 930 uses the prestler architecture which is basically sinonymous with heat, im guessing ue celeron was 65 watts, well you can use it but ull need a cooler that is worthy of that cpu, something with alot of heatpipes
Related resources
July 21, 2010 1:51:01 PM

saaiello said:
The problem is that the Celeron is a lower powered single core and The Pentium D 930 is a really hot 1 st gen Dual core basically two Pentium 4's glued together. The heatsink for the Celeron D is most likely too small for the higher powered Pentium D. I used to have one of those and they run really hot especially on undersized stock heat sinks. I would suggest getting a cheap after market tower cooler for around $20-$30 should solve your problem.

thanks for the reply. can you suggest any coolers for me to look into?
July 21, 2010 2:47:17 PM

hey just wondering i have an rc410-m motherboard would an OCZ vendetta fan/heatsink work with that because i have forund a fairly cheap one.
a c 133 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 4:27:18 PM

Yes the vendetta would be perfect for that CPU. I have used that cooler in the past and its pretty decent and can be had for as little as $15 at microcenter.
!