M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I'm building a new system in the next week or so, and I've got most of the system nailed down, however, I'm having trouble selecting a motherboard.
The board in the thread title is the one I'm looking at, at the moment, newegg reviews say it's alright but I take that with a grain of salt, however, I've had trouble finding reviews of the board on google. I did not find any here on Toms for any of the 880g based boards, only the 890fx, and same with hardware canucks.

So I thought I'd ask those of you here.

After reading another article a few pages back on a similar topic but it's not specifically what I want to know, and that's reliability and performance. I know no one board is the same as the next and there's rotten eggs in each board series. Another question I have is I've read some statements that this board is very picky on ram (mostly newegg, so yeah, but figured I'd ask.), the ram I want to use has the base model in the QVL, but not the 2x4Gb version, I'll list that below too.

I'd like to stay around 110$ for the board, but I want reliability so I'd rather go up to 170$ if necessary then pay 110 now for something I maybe replacing in a month or 2 (tho that can happen anyway lol). With that in mind, and with the previously mentioned thread, I looked at an MSI board based off the 790fx, slightly older model, about the same postive reviews on newegg as the Asus board, but more pricey. I usually use Asus but I'm not brand loyal... except maybe to AMD ^.^

Lastly, I wanted to know the difference between the onboard sound these 2 boards use, the MSI obviously uses an older model, but does that really translate into any noticeable or relevant differences in sound output and quality for gaming?

Here are the 2 options I've found thus far for motherboards:

Asus M4A88T-V Evo 110$

MSI 790FX-GD70 165$

Here's the ram I selected, and other system components:

G-skill Ripjaw 8GB (2x4gb) F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Seasonic X750 750w Gold certified, Modular

Phenom II X4 955 BE

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 92mm

Elitegroup Geforce GTX 580 1.5Gb

NZXT Phantom Black Steel/Plastic

To note, I plan to overclock the system, well most of it.
Mainly I want to hit as close to 4Ghz as the CPU allows, without touching the NB as much as possible. I haven't done sufficient research into that yet (It looks a littler more complicated then this current Intel system I'm using right now), but I am familiar enough with what is required to do so with just the CPU multiplier and CPU voltage. Plus I'm not looking for the overclock of the century here, I just want as close to 4 as the chip and cooler allows.

I'm going to add a 2nd 200mm fan for exhaust in the case on the top slot, and a 140mm intake in the front, leaving the top side 200mm slot as an exhaust as I do not know if a 3rd fan will fit there with the CPU cooler. However, if it did fit, would it be better as exhaust or intake with a side facing cooler or just plain overkill?

As you can likely tell, some of the system is rather budget based, while others like the GPU mainly, are high end, this being that next year I'm going to move to the bulldozer platform, and my husband will receive the core parts from this build while I keep the GPU, case, PSU such. If I was more patient I would wait for it this year, but I do not know if AMD will even get it out this summer as planned, plus I need a new system now, so my husband can get my current as a replacement for his former laptop. So time restraints and patience prevent waiting for bulldozer this year.

Anyway, my main concern is with the motherboard atm, which to buy, what works best, and will it accept the ram if it is indeed a picky board.

And, I'm sorry for the long post, everybody says I write too much, something I do not deny lol. So I'm sorry^^

Thank you for any help you can provide^^

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Dual GPU doesn't really matter much to me. At least not at this time. Plus I'm going with a Geforce card, so I can't use SLi anyway ;; But when I buy a new GPU, my husband will get the 580 I'm buying, and even then I'd likely buy a single high end GPU rather then SLi.

I had looked at that board a few times, in fact, I was thinking of that one too until I saw the MSI board being suggested and it's good reviews as well, mind you, all from a newegg perspective, so I take it with a grain of salt heh^^

So you think the board I listed, or the ones you have would do just fine? Unless I wanted dual cards, which then I'd either have to switch to an Nforce board or go with ATi cards. I'll see what I can find on those boards. I originally wanted the Crosshair IV, but it was rather out of my price range if I wanted the 580 GPU. And since I'm only using the board for 1year, didn't make sense to dump much money there. Yet.

stoked

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
For what it’s worth, I just put a box together (my first build) with the Asus 87TD-EVO, Athlon ll x4 640 3GHz and 2x2Gb of the same Gskill Ripjaws 1333. Three weeks old and so far so good. After all, it’s an Asus w/3 yr warranty.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Thanks for the input on the boards some of you are using, that eases some concerns of mine^^
I'm still undecided, but I'm reviewing all the options and the boards you guys post.

jtt283,

That's not a bad looking board overall, and good price too. Seems to have good ratings for newegg. One thing worries me however, looking at the pictures, isn't the off-board USB sockets in the way of the GPU card? Tho I don't think it's much of serious issue, I do use several USB sockets but the rear I/o panel appears to have enough. Are those the USB sockets for the cases front panel? Again not a real serious concern just a overview.

Never used a Micro ATX board before, looks a little small, but my case is a full tower and mounts Micro ATX, so not a worry. I just feel bad, putting such a giant HSF, and GPU on such a tiny board within a cavernous tower lol^^

I'll keep that Asrock board in mind, looks like it could suit me. You said it's actually a child company of Asus? I didn't know that.

A dual-slot GPU extends to the left (looking front to back), so even a huge GPU won't block those USB ports.
I don't know what the current Asus-ASRock relationship is, but my understanding is that ASRock spun off from Asus, to be a more budget-oriented brand.
If you think you will want multiple GPUs, or go for high overclocks, you may want a full ATX board, otherwise the micro-ATX will be fine.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I think I'm going to go with this board. Something about it says it's right, and I'm not one to ignore my intuition hehe^^
As long as the Via sound chip is least as decent as realteks, I'm alright with the board. I don't intend any major overclocks, planning to try for, 4ghz if possible, but that shouldn't be hard on most boards I don't think, long as the silicone is good quality.

I don't really need SLi, so not a concern for me. By the time it would be, I'll have a bulldozer platform anyway (Not that they can SLi. Yet.). So I'll select this ASrock 890 board^^

Thank you guys, this should turn into quite a nice computer. Only bottle neck will be my HDD I think, it's an older model Raptor, but that really only effects loading times not actual gaming performance.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I just found a small issue with that ASrock board. It doesn't have a PATA port. Which is a small problem, one of my old drives is a ATA133, I pulled it out of an external I had when it's controller failed, and been using it for a couple of years as storage.

I do not have the extra funds for a new HDD atm, so I need to keep the ones I've got.
However, after a quick peak, I found a almost similar motherboard, it doesn't support SATA3, but again not a real issue atm. My raptor is a SATA1, and my second drive is a SATA2, and my old is obviously a old crappy ATA channel lol.

Anyway, here's the board I found. It also uses a Realtek ALC892 sound chip, so that removes any concern i may have had, as my last 2 boards use Realtek: ASrock 880GMH/USB3

It looks to be almost the same board overall, cept minus SATA3 ports, and plus a PATA channel, but the layout is almost the same.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I've only ordered the PSU and video card thus far.

but yes, that's some nice news, a small cut but, I won't complain^^ It hasn't taken effect on newegg, but I'm sure it will be when I order the remaining parts.

Only other thing I've changed is from a Elitegroup GPU to Zotac. Better support by the looks of it (they actually have forums), plus maybe I can get it clocked up to the speed of it's AMP version, 815 core, 4100 mem, and 1640 shader, not bad, I'm hoping the reference clocked board I ordered will get close, if not higher, my case has good cooling, so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.