Mechanical HDD trouble to use.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello!

THe other day, I was doing some slow surfing around the internet as I felt the system was very slow and non-responsive. This let go after a minute or so, but occured once again a few minutes later. This time around, a bsod popped up instead. Since it was late night, I went to bed instead.

Two days later I started my PC again but the error message "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". So I did, but the next time, the same message without the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" showed up.

ExpressGate is launched about 1 time out of 10 although, and one time I even got windows to loadd, but a quick bsod killed in 2-3seconds into the loading.

I believe it's a faulty HDD, but I have not moved or touched the case for about a week(it worked perfectly for a week after taking the system home from a LAN party by car).

I need some files from the drive, not life important but it would save me some time, so the question is: Is there a way to repair the disk(not just to recover the data stored) or do I need a new one? I could add that the SSD I bought works perfectly, and I intend on using it as a bootdrive in the future. I just don't want to buy a new mechanical HDD before I know about this one's destiny.

Many thanks!

Regards
//Filip

if the hard disk is failing then you should move the data to a new drive.

Testdisklogo_clear_100.png
TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thank you for your extremely helpful program!

However, before I start, can I run this program with no harm from my SSD in any way? I am not able to boot my mechanical drive at the moment, so the program has to be run from another disk.

Or am I to burn the program onto an empty disk of USB stick and boot the program up with only the faulty disk installed?