Best drive cloner?

Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
trick.

What works out there?

--
Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.
14 answers Last reply

    "Mike1" <mike1_shoot.them.shoot.them.both@usfamily.net> wrote in message

    > I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    > dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
    > however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
    > drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
    > regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
    > trick.
    >
    > What works out there?

    By the way, NTLDR is the boot loader for the NT family OS.
    Typically, it is only correctly installed with a basic install of the
    OS.
    Copy software such as Norton's Ghost is iffy about how well it copies NTLDR

    For a better chance of getting a specific answer go to:
    The Microsoft news server is
    msnews.microsoft.com
    For the group choices type windowsxp
    You'll find the appropriate group where someone can answer your
    question.
  2. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    D.A. Tsenuf wrote:
    > By the way, NTLDR is the boot loader for the NT family OS.
    > Typically, it is only correctly installed with a basic install of the
    > OS.

    Not true...you can fix the boot loader by using "recovery console" mode
    on the XP cd.
  3. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    D.A. Tsenuf wrote:
    > By the way, NTLDR is the boot loader for the NT family OS.
    > Typically, it is only correctly installed with a basic install of the
    > OS.

    Not true...you can fix the boot loader by using "recovery console" mode
    on the XP cd.
  4. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > "Mike1" <mike1_shoot.them.shoot.them.both@usfamily.net> wrote in
    > message
    > ly.net...
    >|
    >| I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    >| dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so
    >| far, however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off
    >| the new drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found
    >| online regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has
    >| done the trick.
    >|
    >| What works out there?
    >|
    >| --
    >| Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach
    >| me.
    >

    > Hi Mike -
    >
    > I recently went through this exercise, putting a 7200 RPM drive in my
    > computer.
    >
    > I picked up a USB 2.0 drive caddy for a little over US$20 and
    > downloaded a trial copy of Acronis True Image
    > (http://www.acronis.com).
    >
    > I installed True Image on the computer and put the new disk in the
    > caddy. I ran True Image's Disk Clone function, which took me step by
    > step through the process of cloning my existing drive to the new drive
    > (both partitions, resizing them on the fly). The cloning process ran
    > from within Windows (recommend Disk Cleanup and Defrag in advance to
    > minimize the time this takes... though it didn't take all that long).

    This is interesting because previous version (7.0) of TrueImage did not
    support external drives (I know for sure - I bought it, it worked drive-
    to-drive in desktop but refused with external drives on desktop and
    laptop). And I have not seen a note of any change in that department for
    the new version. That IS the reason I have not upgraded to 8.0.

    Ghost, while a bit harder to work with, handled USB/FireWire external
    drives for a while now.

    Regarding the NTLDR and such, if you do drive to drive copying with Ghost
    and reboot to the original drive with the copy still connected,
    partitions on the second drive get assigned drive letters. And that is
    stored on the drive. So, when you then swap drives and try to boot from
    the copy you are likely to have a problem. The boot drive letter is NOT
    C: Another thing to watch in this case is that if you played with your
    PATH settings and replaced %SystemDrive% with C: or such, Windows is not
    gonna load.

    There you go. Hope that is helpful in some way.

    Alexei
  5. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "D.A. Tsenuf" <DA@Tsenuf.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike1" <mike1_shoot.them.shoot.them.both@usfamily.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    >> dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
    >> however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
    >> drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
    >> regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
    >> trick.
    >>
    >> What works out there?
    >>

    > By the way, NTLDR is the boot loader for the NT family OS.
    > Typically, it is only correctly installed with a basic install of the
    > OS.
    > Copy software such as Norton's Ghost is iffy about how well it copies
    > NTLDR
    >
    > For a better chance of getting a specific answer go to:
    > The Microsoft news server is
    > msnews.microsoft.com
    > For the group choices type windowsxp
    > You'll find the appropriate group where someone can answer your
    > question.

    These might help:
    Microsoft KB article: Q318728
    Microsoft KB article: Q314057
    Microsoft KB article: Q255220
    Bob
  6. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I'm pretty much a rube, but I use CasperXP, quite idiot-proof. A
    couple of mouse clicks, and I go for coffee. When I come back, it's
    all done. I have two HDDs in my ThinkPad, and clone about once/week.

    |I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    |dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
    |however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
    |drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
    |regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
    |trick.
    |
    |What works out there?
  7. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Erik Anderson" <anderiv@spam.me.not.bethel.edu> wrote in message
    > D.A. Tsenuf wrote:
    >> By the way, NTLDR is the boot loader for the NT family OS.
    >> Typically, it is only correctly installed with a basic install of the
    >> OS.
    >
    > Not true...you can fix the boot loader by using "recovery console" mode on
    > the XP cd.

    At keast, that's the theory.
    Too bad that it's pretty iffy to make it work.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:51:26 -0500, Mike1
    <mike1_shoot.them.shoot.them.both@usfamily.net> wrote:

    >I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    >dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
    >however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
    >drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
    >regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
    >trick.
    >
    >What works out there?

    I second the recommendation for Acronis True Image. I have used it
    many times to "clone" disks for recovery and upgrade and it even works
    well with NTFS disks. Version 8.0 is now available and the price is
    reasonable.
  9. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Alexei Boukirev" <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net> wrote in message

    | This is interesting because previous version (7.0) of TrueImage did not
    | support external drives (I know for sure - I bought it, it worked drive-
    | to-drive in desktop but refused with external drives on desktop and
    | laptop). And I have not seen a note of any change in that department for
    | the new version. That IS the reason I have not upgraded to 8.0.
    |
    | Ghost, while a bit harder to work with, handled USB/FireWire external
    | drives for a while now.
    |
    | Regarding the NTLDR and such, if you do drive to drive copying with Ghost
    | and reboot to the original drive with the copy still connected,
    | partitions on the second drive get assigned drive letters. And that is
    | stored on the drive. So, when you then swap drives and try to boot from
    | the copy you are likely to have a problem. The boot drive letter is NOT
    | C: Another thing to watch in this case is that if you played with your
    | PATH settings and replaced %SystemDrive% with C: or such, Windows is not
    | gonna load.
    |
    | There you go. Hope that is helpful in some way.
    |
    | Alexei

    Hi Alexi -

    Download the free trial of True Image 8.0 and give it a go. It works
    beautifully on external drives. The computer I'm typing on now was cloned
    very easily using the program.

    The only "gotcha" I've experienced in the entire cloning/external drive
    process (which has absolutely nothing to do with True Image) is that I
    cannot boot my Vaio V505EX with the external drive connected - it hangs at
    the POST screen until I unplug the drive. I suppose the problem has
    something to do with code in the BIOS to support booting from a USB floppy.

    Jef

    True Image 6.0 works with Firewire, I use it all the time.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:33:30 -0500, Alexei Boukirev
    <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net> wrote:

    >"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    >
    >> "Mike1" <mike1_shoot.them.shoot.them.both@usfamily.net> wrote in
    >> message
    >> ly.net...
    >>|
    >>| I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    >>| dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so
    >>| far, however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off
    >>| the new drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found
    >>| online regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has
    >>| done the trick.
    >>|
    >>| What works out there?
    >>|
    >>| --
    >>| Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach
    >>| me.
    >>

    >> Hi Mike -
    >>
    >> I recently went through this exercise, putting a 7200 RPM drive in my
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> I picked up a USB 2.0 drive caddy for a little over US$20 and
    >> downloaded a trial copy of Acronis True Image
    >> (http://www.acronis.com).
    >>
    >> I installed True Image on the computer and put the new disk in the
    >> caddy. I ran True Image's Disk Clone function, which took me step by
    >> step through the process of cloning my existing drive to the new drive
    >> (both partitions, resizing them on the fly). The cloning process ran
    >> from within Windows (recommend Disk Cleanup and Defrag in advance to
    >> minimize the time this takes... though it didn't take all that long).
    >
    >This is interesting because previous version (7.0) of TrueImage did not
    >support external drives (I know for sure - I bought it, it worked drive-
    >to-drive in desktop but refused with external drives on desktop and
    >laptop). And I have not seen a note of any change in that department for
    >the new version. That IS the reason I have not upgraded to 8.0.
    >
    >Ghost, while a bit harder to work with, handled USB/FireWire external
    >drives for a while now.
    >
    >Regarding the NTLDR and such, if you do drive to drive copying with Ghost
    >and reboot to the original drive with the copy still connected,
    >partitions on the second drive get assigned drive letters. And that is
    >stored on the drive. So, when you then swap drives and try to boot from
    >the copy you are likely to have a problem. The boot drive letter is NOT
    >C: Another thing to watch in this case is that if you played with your
    >PATH settings and replaced %SystemDrive% with C: or such, Windows is not
    >gonna load.
    >
    >There you go. Hope that is helpful in some way.
    >
    >Alexei
  11. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Jef Norton wrote in message
    > "Mike1" <mike1 wrote in message
    >
    > | I'm upgrading to a bigger drive in my laptop, and would like to just
    > | dupe over the whole thing. What I'm getting with what I've tried so far,
    > | however, are "NTLDR is missing" errors when I try to boot off the new
    > | drive. (This is a WinXP system.) None of the advice I found online
    > | regards repairing or copying files off the XP install CD has done the
    > |
    > | What works out there?
    >
    > I picked up a USB 2.0 drive caddy for a little over US$20 and > |downloaded a trial copy of Acronis True Image

    Still not having any luck: I took the old laptop drive and the new
    own, and, with some plug adapters, added them both to the chain of a
    tower machine. Neither TrueImage's drive-duplication feature nor
    save-to-image feature resulted in a transfer that didn't result in
    "NTLDR is missing" upon restart.

    (TrueImage oddity: straight drive-to-drive duplication took about 50%
    longer than drive-to-compressed-archive-and then back-to-drive. WITH
    compression. Go figure.)
  12. Archived from groups: mn.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Mike Schneider" <mike18xx@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    | Still not having any luck: I took the old laptop drive and the new
    | own, and, with some plug adapters, added them both to the chain of a
    | tower machine. Neither TrueImage's drive-duplication feature nor
    | save-to-image feature resulted in a transfer that didn't result in
    | "NTLDR is missing" upon restart.
    |
    | (TrueImage oddity: straight drive-to-drive duplication took about 50%
    | longer than drive-to-compressed-archive-and then back-to-drive. WITH
    | compression. Go figure.)

    Hi Mike -

    I still recommend putting the original drive back in the computer and get a
    USB drive caddy to perform the clone. It's very likely that you're causing
    issues with NTLDR and the MBR when you install both the original drive and
    the new drive in a desktop system. It's also possible you've corrupted the
    MBR on the original disk (which can be corrected by putting the drive back
    in the original system, booting to the Recovery Console on a Windows XP CD
    and typing "FIXMBR" and, possibly "FIXBOOT").

    If your notebook computer only has USB 1.1 ports this process will still
    work -- though it will run very slowly.

    And, of course, a clone of the drive will take longer than a compressed
    archive. This is because the program must format the new disk as well as
    transfer data to it.

    Jef

    On 7 Oct 2004 11:41:58 -0700, mike18xx@yahoo.com (Mike Schneider)
    wrote:

    >Still not having any luck: I took the old laptop drive and the new
    >own, and, with some plug adapters, added them both to the chain of a
    >tower machine. Neither TrueImage's drive-duplication feature nor
    >save-to-image feature resulted in a transfer that didn't result in
    >"NTLDR is missing" upon restart.

    What make/model notebook do you have? I ask this because I have had
    issues with cloning drives from IBM notebooks using computers other
    than IBM. I strongly suspect that it has something to do with IBM's
    hidden partition on the drive to allow their "Rapid Restore" to work.
    They keep the original system image in a hidden partition on the
    drive, and the only way I have seen that can access it is actually
    accessing the drive in the system.

    I had cloned drives in my Dell notebooks for years with no issues.
    About a year ago, I was working on a ThinkPad for a VP, and had
    issues with cloning the drive, and just a few months ago, I finally
    got a ThinkPad of my own, and had similar problems. I resolved my
    problems by making an image of my drive while it was in the primary
    bay of the ThinkPad (using Ghost v8 and True Image v8) onto an
    external USB2 attached drive. Next, I replaced the drive in the
    drive bay, and restored the image onto the drive. On one of the
    systems I seem to recall needing to use FDISK /MBR to replace the
    master boot record on the drive once it was in the system.

    "Jerry Bloomfield" <jbloomfi@SheltieLovers.net> wrote:
    > What make/model notebook do you have? I ask this because I have had
    > issues with cloning drives from IBM notebooks using computers other
    > than IBM. I strongly suspect that it has something to do with IBM's
    > hidden partition on the drive to allow their "Rapid Restore" to work.
    > They keep the original system image in a hidden partition on the
    > drive, and the only way I have seen that can access it is actually
    > accessing the drive in the system.
    >
    > I had cloned drives in my Dell notebooks for years with no issues.
    > About a year ago, I was working on a ThinkPad for a VP, and had
    > issues with cloning the drive, and just a few months ago, I finally
    > got a ThinkPad of my own, and had similar problems.

    Mike, I had the same thought as Jerry. I've also had problems cloning
    a Thinkpad hard disk outside of the laptop, so was also going to ask
    if you were using an IBM.

    Jerry, in my case I had already eliminated the hidden partition from
    my Thinkpads and still had the same problem, so I don't think it had
    anything to do with IBM's hidden partition. My troubleshooting leads
    me to suspect the manner in which the bios "autodetects" the disk
    parameters. As you may be aware, with modern IDE drives the disk
    parameters (cyls/heads/sectors per track) are essentially made up
    numbers -- practically anything will do as long as the total number of
    sectors doesn't add up to more than the drive actually has. Many
    computer bios's seem to use 254-256 for number of heads. My Dells use
    255. My Thinkpads, though, use 240. IOW, a formatted, error-free
    hard disk in my Dell will appear to have 240 heads and errors when put
    in my IBM. It ups the cylinder count to compensate for the lower head
    count, but maybe the difference causes partitions to map out
    incorrectly in the wrong machine, and thus cause the machine to have
    trouble finding the boot file.

Laptops Product