Change username text on start menu

You know how the user name is written at the top of the Start menu?

It occured to me that it would be useful to have "%username% on
%compuername%" instead, which would make it easier to get users to identify
their computer.

I thought about changing the "My Computer" text as I know where to change
this in the registry, but that only makes it complicated when asking them to
click on "My Computer".

Is there a registry edit that I can use to change this? Or any other means?
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about change username text start menu

    "BMC" <newsdeletegroup@inselremoveaffe.co.uk> wrote in message
    > You know how the user name is written at the top of the Start menu?
    >
    > It occured to me that it would be useful to have "%username% on
    > %compuername%" instead, which would make it easier to get users to
    > identify
    > their computer.
    >
    > I thought about changing the "My Computer" text as I know where to change
    > this in the registry, but that only makes it complicated when asking them
    > click on "My Computer".
    >
    > Is there a registry edit that I can use to change this? Or any other
    > means?
    > Thanks.

    BMC,

    The name on top of the start-menu is taken from the "Full Name" box in the
    User account properties of this user (when machine isn't in a domain,
    otherwise you'll find this in the Local Users and Groups settings) For the
    Domain accounts, it's stored on the DC, so you won't be able to see these
    locally. Anyway, to be honest with ya, I wouldn't advise you to start
    playing around with these settings in the reg. Might be more trouble than
    it's worth...

    Cheers,

    Robert

    > The name on top of the start-menu is taken from the "Full Name" box in the
    > User account properties of this user (when machine isn't in a domain,
    > otherwise you'll find this in the Local Users and Groups settings) For the
    > Domain accounts, it's stored on the DC, so you won't be able to see these
    > locally. Anyway, to be honest with ya, I wouldn't advise you to start
    > playing around with these settings in the reg. Might be more trouble than
    > it's worth...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks, but I know where it's getting the text from, what I'm looking for is
    hopefully a registry entry that instructs it to pull that text from there.

    I've been playing around with the registry for many years, I'm a big boy so
    thanks for the warning but I'll ignore it if that's all the same! :)

    >> The name on top of the start-menu is taken from the "Full Name" box in
    >> the
    >> User account properties of this user (when machine isn't in a domain,
    >> otherwise you'll find this in the Local Users and Groups settings) For
    >> the
    >> Domain accounts, it's stored on the DC, so you won't be able to see these
    >> locally. Anyway, to be honest with ya, I wouldn't advise you to start
    >> playing around with these settings in the reg. Might be more trouble than
    >> it's worth...
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Robert
    >>
    > Thanks, but I know where it's getting the text from, what I'm looking for
    > is
    > hopefully a registry entry that instructs it to pull that text from there.
    >
    > I've been playing around with the registry for many years, I'm a big boy
    > so
    > thanks for the warning but I'll ignore it if that's all the same! :)

    That's completely up to you ofcourse :-)

    I think the key for local accounts is:

    My Computer\HKEY_USERS\S<sid number here>\Indentities

    However, since everything is coded, I can't be too sure, but is the key a
    regmon points to when you change the User description...

    Cheers,

    Robert
  4. Has anyone figured out how the average NB can accomplish changing the username on the Startmenu?

    artreid44@hotmail.com
  5. Control Panel, user accounts, choose the account you would like to change, change the account name.

Configuration Start Menu Registry Computers Windows XP