Disadvantages of Installing 2 MemoryModules into Slots 3&4

JimMM

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hello,
RE: Gigabyte AM3 MotherBoard 790chipsets, DDR3 1600mhz 2x4gb.....
Is there a problem or disadvantage to placing MemoryModules(sticks)into Slots 3&4 instead of Slots 1&2 ?
the manual states pg16 : It is recommended that you install 2 MemModules in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2
The reason for not using Slots 1&2 closest to the processor .... there is no room because my CPU cooler covers up slots 1&2

Welcome to the Forum!

Normally, this is not a problem and you can do it. The reason why the manual recommends slots 1 & 2 first, is because your motherboard may require you to fill the sockets in a particular order. This applies in the case you want to add a third stick of RAM (instead of a pair).

The BIOS 'inits' the DIMM slots in order, and so I would recommend that you follow the recommendations of the Manual. Sometimes it will show DIMM1+2 OR DIMM 3+4, and since I have no clue what MOBO you have exactly I am speaking in generalities.

If you post your MOBO then I'll be happy to take a look at the manual.

JimMM

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
The Gigabyte Motherboard is a GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 processor
AMD-790X, AMD -B750 chipsets, Hyperthread 3.0

The manual shows a diagram for installing 2 sticks of memory...
DDR3 Slots 1&2 or DD3Slots 3&4
with the underlined note " If two memory modules are installed, It is recommended that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets "

Usually there is a reason for a recommendation....
I am wondering if going against the recommendation
WILL IT LOSE SPEED ?
WILL IT LOSE STABILITY ?
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES ?

As I mentioned earlier because of the stupid Scythe Yasya cooler orientation covering sockets 1&2, and the stupid layout of Gigabyte memory Sockets so close to the processor
I spent a lot of money online without examining everything quick enough for a return... so I'm stuck

Thanks for your input

Your are good {equally} either way, and yes I looked at your manual. In fact if you were running faster RAM it would need to be in DIMM_3&4.

Use slots 3&4 and don't look back. Good Luck!

DDR_DUAL.jpg