Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Inexpensive cpu worth upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2010 4:42:52 PM

Hi, I have an older HP system with a Pentium 4 540 3.2 Ghz 800 mhz bus speed, and I have a friend that is selling a Pentium D 805 system, I know it is dual cpu's but it has 533 bus speed and the speed is only 2.6 Ghz, but where it is dual core - not sure if it is even an upgrade to my P4. He is selling it dirt cheap so that is only why I am looking at it. Thanks for any info.
a c 133 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 4:54:23 PM

In multi threaded apps it might be a tad faster but its lower clock speed could cause you some performance loss if you could overclock it, it might be worth like $20 so I wouldn't spend too much for it if you do decide to get it.
m
l
July 26, 2010 1:55:08 PM

does the bus speed matter though, I have seen some of the i core 5 processors running at 533 bus speed. and where they are WAY faster that makes me question where they start out at the 533 bus speed
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2010 1:57:57 PM

it is a worth upgrade if u get that Pentium D for as little as 15$.. otherwise waste of money.... and ya FSB does matter a lot.....
m
l
July 26, 2010 2:39:55 PM

I worry about what SAAIELLO said that I could see a performance decrease, I wont spend the money if I see a decrease, so that is the question, I will do it if I see a performance increase, but if I am going to see a decrease, why spend the money at all?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 3:00:09 PM

You're on a Prescott P4 and the 805 D is a Smithfield essentially 2 Prescott cores stuck on one chip.

If its really cheap it'd be worth it, you say above system? So its not just a CPU, its a whole new system?

Really compared to a 540 I'd say it ties or beats it a little bit, Sisoft Sandra gives the 805 a little more of a lead. It may have a slower fsb (which really doesn't mean all that much in reality) and a slower overall clock speed but the 2Mb of L2 will boost performance quite abit compared to the 1Mb in your P4.

I say go for it, in addition if it is a whole new system you maybe able to upgrade the 805 for something faster still like a 920 or something
a c 133 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 3:01:19 PM

Yea I wouldn't even waste the money I doubt you will really see any difference and as I said it could hinder the performance being a lower clock speed.
m
l
July 26, 2010 3:50:05 PM

I have a crazy question, and I thank you for everyones info, I have seen these deals with biostar motherboards and the amd athlon II x3's for $100 or slightly more for them both and would that be a big jump on speed? I havent used an amd for a long time. Not sure if they still have their running too hot problems with these newer chips. Anyways where they are so cheap to get these new processors and I have never used a biostar motherboard, many say they are good, seeing on new egg comments.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:12:27 PM

Ignore the newegg comments, they're usually posted by people who haven't a clue.

I don't rate Biostar boards, they are considered a 'low end' manufacturer, if you did decide to upgrade spend a little more and go for a Gigabyte or Asus.
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:14:22 PM

+1 for asus.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:17:09 PM

dtdave said:
I have a crazy question, and I thank you for everyones info, I have seen these deals with biostar motherboards and the amd athlon II x3's for $100 or slightly more for them both and would that be a big jump on speed? I havent used an amd for a long time. Not sure if they still have their running too hot problems with these newer chips. Anyways where they are so cheap to get these new processors and I have never used a biostar motherboard, many say they are good, seeing on new egg comments.

With an X3 the performance jump would be HUGE, and it should run cooler than your P4 also.
Biostars are alright, their Mobos are getting better, but look forsomething like an ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock if possible.

I don't know from where you think that AMDs run too hot, but ever since the K8s (Athlon 64) AMD wasn't much hotter than Intel. Especially compared to the P4 thermal monsters.
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:42:11 PM

I dont know what the bus speed is for the new athlon II's but does older memory possibly have a negative (bottle neck) on the cpu if I purchased a motherboard with a new athlon? I have pc2-5300 memory. I guess the question is does front side bus speed suck if the memory does not match it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:48:02 PM

dtdave said:
I dont know what the bus speed is for the new athlon II's but does older memory possibly have a negative (bottle neck) on the cpu if I purchased a motherboard with a new athlon? I have pc2-5300 memory. I guess the question is does front side bus speed suck if the memory does not match it?

No, its just the memory thats would be slow, has nothing to do with the HT (AMD's "FSB")speed/CPU at all.

Anyways, DDR2-400 is still going to be pretty slow today, and most Mobos take DDR3 now, so either invest in a new set of RAM, or make sure you get a DDR2 compatible board.
m
l
July 28, 2010 12:38:26 AM

Best answer selected by dtdave.
m
l
!