Disabling GPU

nikdangr

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I'm getting a new PC shortly. In the meantime, the Geforce 8600 in my old box is running at 66C with nothing but the desktop on the display. Fans are all operating and the case is clean.

If I disable the card via device manager, will that fix the heat problem and will my display still work on a basic level?

Solution
Disabling it will have no beneficial effect on the temps and would cause performance issues within Windows. While I agree such a temp is high, it's within the GPU's thermal threshold.

If you're up for it, sometimes removing the HS/Fan assembly and cleaning the card and HS/Fan can show significant benefits. Of course you'll have to apply new thermal grease (TIM) to the GPU itself, and you may also have to replace torn/worn thermal pads should your card use them. Fortunately, neither the pads nor TIM are at all expensive. $4 for a 4"x4" sheet of thermal padding (must be cut to fit) and roughly $5-$10 for a syringe of quality TIM.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Disabling it will have no beneficial effect on the temps and would cause performance issues within Windows. While I agree such a temp is high, it's within the GPU's thermal threshold.

If you're up for it, sometimes removing the HS/Fan assembly and cleaning the card and HS/Fan can show significant benefits. Of course you'll have to apply new thermal grease (TIM) to the GPU itself, and you may also have to replace torn/worn thermal pads should your card use them. Fortunately, neither the pads nor TIM are at all expensive. $4 for a 4"x4" sheet of thermal padding (must be cut to fit) and roughly $5-$10 for a syringe of quality TIM.

Solution

nikdangr

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

When I said I was getting a new PC "shortly", I had no idea HOW shortly. The UPS just dropped a yummy package of i7-930/Radeon 5850 on my front porch five minutes ago, about three days ahead of schedule.

Thanks for the reply, but I think have a solution. The next sound you hear will be a plug being pulled. I shall now play "Taps".

If you have an onboard GPU then just pull our your 8600GT, and use the motherboard's graphics.

If not, then uninstalling the drivers might not cause the GPU to actually be utilized as much. Though you won't be able to play games, and scrolling will be chopped.