Sign in with
Your question

Crucial m4

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2012 8:57:20 PM

i just install my OS on a crucial m4 128gb. how can i check if i get full speed of it?

More about : crucial

a c 539 G Storage
June 30, 2012 10:12:08 PM

Benchmark with ATTO software.
a b G Storage
June 30, 2012 10:26:39 PM

ATTO is great but isn't meant to benchmark SSD because it uses compressible data, AS SSD is meant for SSD (it uses random data that much more closely approximates real-word usage).
Related resources
a c 539 G Storage
June 30, 2012 10:54:43 PM

Branden said:
ATTO is great but isn't meant to benchmark SSD because it uses compressible data, AS SSD is meant for SSD (it uses random data that much more closely approximates real-word usage).

Correct. But the OP will not see Crucial's advertised Read speeds of 500MB/s with AS-SSD. You will only see the full speed with ATTO.

Here's a link showing benchmark results using AS-SSD & ATTO: http://www.guru3d.com/article/crucial-m4-128gb-ssd-revi...
a b G Storage
July 1, 2012 12:17:44 AM

If you want to see how fast your drive operates in the real world then download RAM Disk, make a RAM Disk so that it appears as a drive. Then copy files to and from the RAM Disk from the SSD. As the RAM Drive will not be the bottleneck in the data transfer you can will see your SSD moving data as fast as it can.
July 1, 2012 3:12:44 AM

btw the disk firmware is 000f
a c 539 G Storage
July 1, 2012 4:22:43 AM

antonisrsx said:
what that means?

You are getting 344MB/s Read and 182MB/s Write speeds. Your Write speeds are very good, your Read speeds could be better.

What model motherboard do you have?
July 1, 2012 3:54:20 PM

x58 sabertooth
a c 539 G Storage
July 1, 2012 4:05:45 PM

antonisrsx said:
x58 sabertooth

That explains your low Read speeds. All X58 chipset based motherboards use a Marvell controller for their 6Gb/s ports.

The Marvell 6Gb/s port is slower than an Intel 6Gb/s port, so that's why your Read speeds are slower than they should be.
July 1, 2012 4:17:57 PM

so i cant do anything to fix it right?
a c 539 G Storage
July 1, 2012 4:52:55 PM

No, not with that motherboard. But even if you had a motherboard that would give you maximum advertised speeds you probably wouldn't notice any real world difference.
July 1, 2012 5:05:27 PM

ok Dereck47 thank you very very much!
a b G Storage
July 2, 2012 8:53:27 PM

Dereck47 said:
Correct. But the OP will not see Crucial's advertised Read speeds of 500MB/s with AS-SSD.

looks like we're both correct. ATTO gives you maximum possible data rate (which you'll never actually see in the real world with data containing both ones AND zeroes), and AS SSD gives you data rate similar to what you can actually expcet to see in the real world.

it's like a car that claims to get 55mpg - it may be true if you drove a consistent 40mph on a flat smooth cool dry asphalt just like at a michigan test track from which those claims come from, but in the real word of hills and stop lights and traffic and A/C that gets used ocne in a while the car will get less. i don't care what mileage my car can get under conditions perfectly suited for fuel economy, i want to know what mileage i'll actually get out of it when i drive it in the real world.
likewise, i want to know what AS SSD says, not ATTO.
!