Sign in with
Your question

Please help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2010 7:34:53 PM

Hello everyone.

First off here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)

OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2 x 2

Asus GeForce 8800 GTX HTDP 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Asus P5K-E WiFi Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Ok now the problem i'm having is that whenever i try to start my pc, it starts all the fans start but then it makes a beeping noise (the same beeping noise it makes when it turns off) and turns off. Then 2 seconds later somtimes longer it trys to start again without me doing anything and repeats this cycle as long as i leave it have to unplug the power to get it to start.

Now all i've really been able to check is my ram and that is fine but when i open it up and try it seems the noise is coming from my graphics card, somtimes instead of simply beeping off the noise drags out into a sort of screaching, so i'm guessing the problem may be my graphics card which is why i am posting it here.

Unfortunatly i won't have any time to really try anything untill the weekend, but i'm hoping that by posting here there will be someone who has seen or heard of somthing like this before or knows what's up so that i don't go playing with it and accidently brake somthing that wasn't already broke lol i have very limited experience with hardware.

Thanks
Chris

More about : question

a c 130 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 8:42:21 PM

I had the exact same problem with my computer before. I don't know what causes it, but the only way I could fix it was returning it.

It's the motherboard, I know that much.
a c 1401 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 8:59:36 PM

Try clearing CMOS, before anything else.
Related resources
April 15, 2010 10:15:06 PM

Thanks guys, unfortunatly i built the pc myself and can't return it :p  warrantys are out too. I'll try clearing the CMOS as soon as i have time thanks for the suggestion, so you guys rekon its the motherboard other than the gpu? thanks for clearing that up, guess my post is in the wrong forum lol >.<
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 10:20:23 PM

Probably not the GPU. It could be either your Mobo or even your RAM. It might be worth trying to boot with each stick of RAM you have individually to see if one of them doesn't work properly.
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 10:30:39 PM

Sounds like the board is trying to POST, but does not complete the process and has to reset, rather than simply being dead. Take out the video card. If you get a beep code for no VGA then it may be the video card. If does the same thing disconnect everything from the board save power cables and one stick of RAM. Again, you should get a no VGA beep code. If it still just beeps once and turns off, then it's likely a component on the motherboard itself which would mean you probably need a new board :D .
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 5:37:31 AM

When you posted your system specs, you neglected to post PSU specs.

When it beeps, what's the pattern.

You have worked through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
yes?

I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard - that will isolate any kind of case problem such as shorts by removing the case.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. (You don't have any installed.)

Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

So, the best bet is to replace the PSU with a known good one of similar power capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Your symptoms sound like the PSU is turning on, the PowerOK signal is coming up telling the CPU to boot, then one of the outputs (probably the 12 volt) drops out of tolerance. This kills the PowerOK signal, forcing a CPU reset. The load drops off the PSU and it cycles back up again.

And you have an endless reset/reboot cycle.

And yes, this is in the wrong forum. It should be in "Homebuilt". But, hey. I'm not the forum police. :) 
April 16, 2010 5:25:15 PM

My power supply is:
OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

ive tried clearing cmos and testing my ram and ive had no joy, i was talking to a friend earlier and he thinks its probably my psu aswell, i wont be able to take my pc apart and test anything properly till tomorrow but thanks for the suggestions.

i have been running the pc for over 2 years now so i don't think anything is connected wrong. any more suggestions are appreciated when i take it apart on the weekend ill let you know if i have any joy lol.

also the noise is just a single beep which i always hear when my pc shuts down, somtimes if it doesnt restart right away the beep will be dragged out untill it does sounding like a screech.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 5:40:12 PM

That should be a reasonable PSU, but it could have died. I would suspect your Mobo first in this particular situation though- the best way to verify (since you've already tested your RAM and cleared CMOS) would be to try another PSU if you can. If another PSU has the same problem, you're pretty much down to a mobo problem. The Mobo could just be failing to boot in a similar fashion to how it would fail if you had a failed overclock, but it can't fix the problem as it normally would by returning the CPU and memory settings to the defaults.
April 16, 2010 5:52:45 PM

i think psu is quite likely, i just found out that the night before i encountered this problem that we had either a power surge or just lost power while i was sleeping. So its probably connected.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 6:05:20 PM

That is very possible. Do you have your PC plugged into a surge protector? It is always worth the money to get one.
!