Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is best: Hybrid + Backup drive or SSD boot + storage?

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2012 9:44:15 PM

I am in the process of picking out some parts for my first build.

At first, I was thinking I would do a 120gb SSD for boot and apps and a 1TB storage drive. However, I just found out about hybrid drives, and the idea interests me. You can get a 750gb HHDD and a 500gb backup drive for nearly the same price as the SSD and 1TB drive.

I like the idea of fast boot times and quick applications. But I also like the idea of having a drive solely dedicated to my backups. I currently use USB external drives but it would be nice to get rid of the clutter and free up additional USB ports. On the other hand, I als use offsite backup programs, so maybe this isn't as important as I think.

I am not a gamer, so fast load times for games isn't my goal, I just hate the long boot up times of my old computer and opening and closing big apps.

I guess it comes down to what I value most? A bigger drive for faster boots and program loading or a dedicated drive for my backups.

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 30, 2012 11:49:01 PM

256G SSD drives are under $200 now! I would go with that plus a traditional HDD for backups and extra storage.
July 1, 2012 2:27:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about the fact that increasing the capacity of the SSD may be more economical as a whole. As it turns out, it will be.

Right now, I only need a little more than 120gb. Moving up to 240 or 256 would be plenty right now, and I wouldn't need a separate storage drive. This would also be cheaper than 2 drives. If I run out of room at 240, I can always upgrade at that point, when the cost for extra storage is even lower.

And since I already have external HDs and offsite backup plans, spending extra money for a dedicated internal HD only for backups is fooling money away.
July 8, 2012 10:55:38 AM

Best answer selected by whitenack.
!