What do i need to build a desktop comp

A couple of hours of time and the ability to read a motherboard manual. The better manuals will give you some tips on ram and cpu installation. Download the manual before ordering the board and read sections of the manual. I recommend you don't go overboard on the motherboard the first time. The cheaper boards work fine. Spend more on the power supply and video card if gaming. And 95 watt cpus are a good balance of energy usage and performance. You can build a mid range box for around $750-800 including windows 7. I recommend you buy the monitor in Dec or Jan when prices are down. Frys has some good deals this weekend for their anniversary sale. An Intel dual core with board for $28.25 after rebate. Nobody beats frys in store combos. I bought two of those as they have been listed 3 times in the last 2 months.

You will need a:

CPU
Motherboard
Memory kit
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case

Also if your motherboard does not come with integrated graphics, then you'll need to buy your own graphic card too.

randomkid

Distinguished

Quick Answer:
1. Processor
2. Motherboard
3. RAM
4. Hard Disk
5. Optical Drive
6. Power Supply
7. PC Case
8. Monitor
9. Keyboard
10. Mouse
11. Video Card depending on the main purpose of the PC.
But the guide linked by MISRy says all.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
If you want to keep an old computer and don't have extras, you will need a keyboard, mouse and monitor as well. Also, if you don't have cables, make sure that either your motherboard or HDD come with cables (SATA or PATA/IDE depending on the kind of drive)

Full list:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Power Supply
Hard Drive
OS
Disk Drive (Recommend at least a DVD reader - but burners are so cheap it's hard to resist)
Graphics Card (for gaming, or if your motherboard does not come with integrated graphics)
Case

Peripherals:
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor

Optional Components:

Second graphics card (Crossfire or SLI)
Speakers and/or headphones
Additional Hard Drives
Additional RAM
Additional Disk Drives
Multiple monitors

All you need for the core of your computer is in the first list.
necessary peripherals are in the second.
things that would be nice on a high budget are detailed in the third.