Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Tower that is "reversed"

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2010 7:09:39 PM

Hello,

For a variety of reasons, I would prefer to find a tower with a window that is "reversed" from the standard set up. In other words, the tray is on the left and the window is on the right. Or failing that, one that can be easily reversed from the standard window on the left set up. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

More about : tower reversed

a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2010 7:12:43 PM

And why do you need such a specific tower???
July 21, 2010 7:17:07 PM

Sadly, because I have to have the tower on the left of the desk, so the window of the standard models points at the wall. Boo. Oddly, the add from Digital Storm that is over here on my screen right now ----> actually looks like it would work, but I'm not looking for a system, just the case. Oh, and preferably full tower, but mid might work.

(Also, sorry for the double post. First post, it might have hccuped.)
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
July 21, 2010 7:44:55 PM

most cases allow you to swap the side panels so you can switch the left side panel window and place it on the right, and vice versa.

i'm little confused though on your "tray is on the left comment" though. cases with mobo trays on the left are BTX cases not ATX cases. I'm pretty sure BTX has been dead for some time.
July 21, 2010 8:01:11 PM

Why would having the tray be on the other side be BTX? The Silverstone ones that turn the boards 90 degrees (not really something I'm hip on, but they do meet the criteria) and they have the tray "on the left" of the case. Sure some things will be reversed, vis a vis distance from the top of the desk, but it should still fit on a standard ATX mb tray.
a c 164 ) Power supply
July 21, 2010 8:09:44 PM

the raven 2 has the tray facing up and uses standard atx parts
a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2010 8:13:58 PM

Hmm sorry I don't know of a specific case, but my GF's PC, an HP I believe, is about 2 years old or so and it is exactly what you want, you open the right side panel and the mobo is mounted on the left, the CPU is at the bottom and PCIe slots at the top. It's reverse world in there lol. But yeah, unfortunately I don't know of a specific case but it raises a good point, why in the world isn't there more like that?

That said, you can easily get a normal case without a window...

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
July 21, 2010 11:16:30 PM

Lian Li , Silverstone and Aerocool all made "reverse ATX cases" at one time, as far as I know they have all been discontinued.
Coolermaster had a few that were reverseable as well
Performance PCs still has some Lian's in stock according to thier site, but they are pricey

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 12:18:46 AM

You could get a normal case and flip it upside down.
It could (potentialy) improve the airflow also.
July 22, 2010 2:26:54 PM

Thanks Timop and delluser1, I did find the "inverted" ATX/BTX cases and inded most seem to be gone other than the secondary market and are largely pricey. (I think the Lian Li V series are still very popular and about as easy and cheap to come by as an original Picasso.) I'll do some research on inverting the case by taking the tops and bottoms off, which I suspect will range in difficulty from easy to impossible depending on the case. My modding skills are limited to screwing and unscrewing and moving the wires; I'm not doing any welding or the like.
a c 104 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 4:01:38 PM

I think he just meant turn the unit upside down :) 
But your idea of disassembling the whole thing and re-building 'reversed' would work,
You would need to drill/pop all the rivets, then drill new holes on the other side of the floor and roof panels for the motherboard tray, and after a glance at the back panel, you would have to reverse that somehow too
Interesting project, but I'd go for turning it upside down tbh :) 
Moto
July 22, 2010 10:23:31 PM

FYI: I found a cheap Aerocool on its way out ("FrozenZero" or something like that) that is under $100 on clearance, and meets my criteria. It isn't the pretiest case I've ever seen, but it does fit the job and isn't $350 like some of these "rare" Lian Li ones. So, I'll give it a whirl. FWIW, this is for my second system, an i5-750 system. My main computer is an i7-920 which is in a HAF 932 which I absolutely love.
a c 104 ) Power supply
July 23, 2010 6:28:16 AM

Groovy, glad you got sorted man :) 
Moto
July 26, 2010 11:10:26 PM

Best answer selected by ddo2.
!