Desktop won't Turn on, Mobo Light on

tokko02

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I did a move of my computer from upstairs to downstairs and it no longer powers on, no fans, nothing. Mobo is getting power, its green light comes on when I turn the PSU on, tried switching Reset/Power buttons, Checking front panel connection, nothing. I've built my own PC before, and everything looks right. Probably the weirdest problem I've had yet, but I havent tried touching the two front panel pins together to turn it on yet. Im inclined to believe that its a hardware problem, and I'm really leaning more towards front panel than power cord, loose cables, or failed PSU/Mobo. If anybody has detailed info on how to test for front panel problems or has any idea of what the problem might be, please let me know.

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Alright it's getting power but won't turn on? I had a similar issue, turned out a cable was loose inside of my psu and it didn't get a constant current flow. If it will turn on even a bit take out the ram and try turning it on, it should beep and if so that means your motherboard works fine. I recently had that same issue when it was my motherboard too. I've had a few bad experiences.

Jason9273

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

This worked for me.

what you need. 2 brads/tiny picture hanging nails or a metal paperclip

1. Find the connection from the power supply to the mobo. there should be 1
green wire and several black wires going into the connector on the mobo.

2. Stick a nail in each little port next to the wire all the way down so it hits the metal part of the connector.

3. Touch the nails together making sure they are still touching a metal part of the wire and it should start right up.
Here is a link to a photo i took of what i did http://instagram.com/p/Mi6O3jImif/

Like I said this worked for me. I had no idea what I was doing just read a couple different posts and started trying random stuff..

Below is how i actually walked myself through it with a few extra steps if you are a little nervous.
This may sound difficult but its pretty easy. first unplug the connection going from your power supply to the mobo. This group of wires should have 1 green and several black wires. I didn't have any fancy tools so I used 2 small picture hanging nails/brads. you could probly use a paper clip too. connect the green wire to any black wire and you should hear the power supply fan turn on or the rom drives firing up. On my desktop i could actually open and close the cd drive. Now that you found a connection to jump it on remove the nails and plug the connector back in. This is where using the tiny nails works great. Push them into the connector next to the colored wires you found so they will touch the metal connector down in there. then touch them together and it should start up. After starting up this way i don't need the nails anymore.