Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive connection and skipping problem

Last response: in Storage
July 1, 2012 1:22:33 AM

Hello,
I just bought an external 2.5" Hard Drive (G-Drive 1TB) which connects through USB 2.0 or Firewire 800.

The problem is that whenever I connect it to my main desktop computer it either does nothing (not even a USB connection sound) or makes the connection sound and shows up under Hard Drives in Device manager. When it does connect, the drive sounds like it keeps spinning up and immediately stopping and starting up again. This spin cycle is quite fast and it makes a loud popping noise each time which can be felt by holding the drive. Sometimes the drive shows up in disc management as either: Unallocated or Disk 2 RAW. Sometimes it shows in My Computer as just Drive (F:)  and gives an error message when I try to explore it.

I have tried NTFS, FAT, and ExFAT file systems on the drive and it can be read on a number of other computers including Mac OSX and Win 7 pcs. The problem is that it does not work on my main desktop computer. I only have a USB 2.0 cord for my desktop and have not tried it via firewire on the desktop--but both USB and Firewire work on other computers. What do you think the problem could be? Not enough bus power? Driver problems? ??

July 1, 2012 3:51:16 AM

Keep in mind all I can do here is take wild *ss guesses.

My first would be to agree with your instinct - not enough power going to the drive, since it is bus powered. After 5 minutes of digging, I couldn't find any info on how much power it's trying to use.

One thing I saw on their tech support site was this snippet:

"Can I use any USB cable with my G-Technology Drive?"

"We recommend using only the included USB cable with your drive. USB bus power is rather limited, so lower quality cables can result in unreliable power to the drive. This can result in poor performance, clicking and other noise, or complete failure to detect the drive on your system. There can also be similar issues with using longer USB cables, especially those longer than 3ft/1M."

I'd also try plugging right into the backplate USB port, with the shortest and best USB cable you can find. I'd avoid any USB hub that could be unpowered, or even UNDERpowered).

I'm not sure if this is your model, but maybe you can get more useful info there. Best of luck!
http://www.g-technology.com/support/gdrive_mobile.cfm
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:21:26 PM

JustLurking said:
Keep in mind all I can do here is take wild *ss guesses.

My first would be to agree with your instinct - not enough power going to the drive, since it is bus powered. After 5 minutes of digging, I couldn't find any info on how much power it's trying to use.

One thing I saw on their tech support site was this snippet:

"Can I use any USB cable with my G-Technology Drive?"

"We recommend using only the included USB cable with your drive. USB bus power is rather limited, so lower quality cables can result in unreliable power to the drive. This can result in poor performance, clicking and other noise, or complete failure to detect the drive on your system. There can also be similar issues with using longer USB cables, especially those longer than 3ft/1M."

I'd also try plugging right into the backplate USB port, with the shortest and best USB cable you can find. I'd avoid any USB hub that could be unpowered, or even UNDERpowered).

I'm not sure if this is your model, but maybe you can get more useful info there. Best of luck!
http://www.g-technology.com/support/gdrive_mobile.cfm

I am using the USB cable that comes with the drive. Now, the drive connects to my Win7 main computer, but shows up as RAW format in Disk Management and asks to be formatted when plugged in. Occasionally, the drive will still make popping and clicking noises and not connect at all. I also got a firewire cable for it which causes more problems because my audio interface soundcard uses firewire bus power and stops working when it also has to power the drive from the second firewire port.

Also, ever since first plugging in the new drive, my external 3.5" drive via E-SATA on its own gives me problems including explorer.exe crashes and having to restart...
m
l
!