Question regarding Sandy Bridge Recall issue

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hey

If I only use optical drives and storage drives in the effected SATA ports am I ok? Or should I have NO HDD's connecting to the bad ports?

It depends on how heavily you use the optical drives and storage drives. Intel says that if you have the problem at all, the ports will degrade over time and eventually die. Their prediction is 5% failure rate over three years. Heavier usage will degrade them quicker.

I'll be getting a new board when the fixed ones arrive in April. I have my main hard drive and a DVD burner connected to the SATA II ports, and I figure I won't be that unlucky to have a failure before then. I already had all of my important data backed up for the migration to Sandy Bridge anyway, so I won't lose anything.

If it were 'me' and I only had HDD + ODD with your MOBO then I'd use the Marvell so some other Intel oopsy doesn't crop up later.

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) = Good

4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue) = Bad
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10 = Bad

Marvell® 9120 controller
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)* = Good

JMicron® JMB362 SATA controller
2 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports* = Good

Newegg video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

The JMicron® JMB362 SATA controller are the (2) eSATA ports at the I/O shield.

see the (2) Red & Green at the bottom:
vFrXqfcJCx76JbmE_500.jpg

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@ OP you have 4 SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports that are good to go 2(navy blue-Marvell for data drives only ATAPI device is not supported) and 2 gray below (for data or optical )
if you don't use your optical drive much use sata 3.0 or use any one you desire ,don't think anything will degrade in two months
got same MB and i only use top 4 ports

EDIT ;yes JMicron ports are also good to go

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Ok, so I will use the SATA III for my 2 optical drives (which I don't use much and they can't inflict damage to a Optical drive surely? and plug the 4 HDD's into the other ports. Is there a port I should plug the OS drive into (the other 3 are data) or will any do?

Too damn lazy to open up the case and switch the cables around. :p I don't really do anything important on my comp anyway, so I figured I'd just tempt the fates to see if the problem crops up.