Sign in with
Your question

Building an i7 620m intel barebones notebook with nVidia 880m

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2010 11:55:07 PM

:sol:  so i've been looking for a laptop that can meet my very specific wants for a long time but so far i have not found a machine that could get it done for me. I thought what i wanted was simple, to get the newest technologies in a slim machine with good battery life. Im thinking now that the only way to get it done will be to build a custom laptop but dont know where to start. Heres what i want:

A relatively slim machine at 7 lbs or less in a 15 inch form factor
good battery life
a not horrible webcam
an anti glare 16:9 1080 resolution screen (could manage 900 res)
chicklet keyboard (backlit would be nice but i dont need it and i dont need a number pad)

intel core i7 620m or higher
nVidia Quadro 1800m or 880m with optimus (its supported so why has no one thought of that?)
4 gb of ram or more
blu ray writer

My big thing is HD video editing but i also do CAD stuff and im a student so i need to be able to bring it to school and have the battery last a couple hours. I don't game at all.
DOES SUCH A MACHINE EXIST OR CAN IT BE BUILT?

thanks,
james
May 17, 2010 12:43:41 AM

Budget is the main thing ... and you did not mention ...

Any AVID certified or preferred CS5 notebook should do ....

... There are many notebooks that should easily fit your reqs ...

... There are also "Portable Workstations" available, at premium cost.

... I "custom configured" my HP notebook on their online order site ... DELL does this too.

... ANY nVidia graphics option of 512MB (or more) should suffice.

... I strongly recommend a 17" monitor ... these apps have very dense and crowded screen layouts.

... Consider one or two SSDs, internal (for HD/multi-stream bandwidth reqs.

... USB3 would be VERY desirable feature ... Firewire 800 or 2xFirewire 400 would also be very useful.

... EVERYBODY (in production) is doing this ... should not be that difficult to acquire!

... Even the research is fairly easy ... Get the system requirements and prefered configs and certified notebooks lists for any (major/demanding) ) SW tools you plan to use.
May 17, 2010 12:46:00 AM

WITH a 17" onboard monitor AND a 17" outboard (2nd) monitor, you should have adequate screen real-estate for more productive sessions.

Please do not cobble yourself with a 15" screen !!!

For one thing ... almost any notebook that would be adequate for edit/graphics apps/tools, will also come with a 17" screen ... why ?? ... because 15" is (almost completely) inadequate (i.e. "useless").

... Find out for yourself, tho ... Two x 17" ??? ... a minimum usable workspace.

= Al =
May 17, 2010 1:04:56 AM

Might want notebook tech to catch up to this tech ... or find a notebook that is certified for use with one or the other of these products .... These products are mostly aimed at CS5 production.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrastudiopr...

Operating system requirement
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5 require a 64-bit operating system.

System requirementsAdobe Premiere Pro CS5 requires a 64-bit operating system.

Windows
Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7
2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows
OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration
Quadro CX (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
Visit the NVIDIA website for system requirements and compatibility. The list of graphics cards that are compatible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS5 is updated on a regular basis.

!