Sign in with
Your question

How can I move only my OS and certain folders to another hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
July 1, 2012 5:03:36 AM

I tried Paragon's move OS to SSD program, but it didn't work, probably because I'm moving it to another hard drive and not an SSD.

What programs could I use where it could move my OS and certain select folders from my drive to another one?

I need to be able to move selected folders only, I can't move the entire drive and then selectively delete because the drive I am moving the OS to is smaller than the original drive
a b G Storage
July 1, 2012 5:10:37 AM

use Clonezilla to copy the entire drive to another drive. then you can selectively delete folders afterwards
m
l
a b G Storage
July 1, 2012 5:11:16 AM

Why not just use windows backup to backup the data you want and restore it to the new HDD? Are you doing this from one computer to another or are you trying to upgrade the hard drive on your existing PC.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 1, 2012 5:11:29 AM

nhasian said:
use Clonezilla to copy the entire drive to another drive. then you can selectively delete folders afterwards

I can't copy the entire drive, because the drive I am copying to is smaller than the original one, which is why I need to be able to copy the Os and certain folders.

I forgot to mention something important and I edited my post above, the drive I am currently using is 250GB, and I want to only move the OS and certain pre-installed drivers and stuff to a 160GB, so I can't copy the entire thing.

I now have 3 hard drives, 2 160GB's and 1 250GB. I want to put the boot partition on a 160, so Windows will allow me to span the other 160 and the 250 together.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 1, 2012 5:42:50 AM

sounds like you will need to backup your data manually and then do a fresh installation of the operating system and then restore your data.
m
l
!